Govt investigates viral SA assault video

Stay home if possible, minister advises
Measures have been put in place to assist Namibians abroad.
Nikanor Nangolo

Namibian authorities are investigating a viral video that appears to show a Namibian being brutally assaulted in South Africa as anti-immigration protests continue to grip the neighbouring country.

Government is still working to identify the victim and confirm whether they are a Namibian citizen.

Responding to questions in parliament from Popular Democratic Movement (PDM) leader McHenry Venaani, home affairs minister Lucia Iipumbu said government is taking the footage seriously but cautioned that officials had not yet confirmed whether the victim’s nationality.

"The video currently circulating cannot be authenticated at this stage," she said. "Once that process is complete, we will inform the nation."

Her remarks come as South Africa has been gripped by widespread demonstrations against illegal immigration, with thousands of protesters taking to the streets in major cities, including Johannesburg, Durban and Cape Town.

Although the demonstrations were largely conducted under heavy police security, isolated outbreaks of violence targeting foreign nationals were reported on the outskirts of several marches. According to South African authorities, protesters looted homes and businesses owned by migrants in parts of Johannesburg, while police in KwaZulu-Natal arrested 10 suspects in connection with looting and burglary.

Johannesburg, South Africa's economic hub, experienced widespread disruption as many businesses shut their doors, workers stayed home and public transport services were curtailed during the mass demonstrations.

Protesters, including young men carrying traditional fighting sticks and women of various ages, marched through the city's streets wrapped in South African flags while singing liberation songs.

Emergency response activated

Iipumbu said Namibia is closely monitoring developments through its diplomatic mission in South Africa and had activated emergency response measures.

"We have also established a local committee that is putting the necessary modalities in place should our citizens require assistance," she said.

She revealed that the government had dispatched two teams on Thursday, one to Pretoria and another to Cape Town, comprising officials from various ministries to assess the situation, verify affected Namibians and prepare for any intervention that may become necessary.

"Their responsibility is to carry out the required verification processes and put mechanisms in place should there be a need to facilitate the return of our people," Iipumbu said.

The minister appealed to Namibians living in South Africa to avoid unnecessary movement.

"We are advising our people to remain calm and stay indoors as much as possible. We continue to monitor developments on the ground, and we believe those who remain at home are generally safer."

She said designated shelters had also been identified and that Namibians are advised to relocate to these safe locations if the security situation deteriorates.

For truck drivers and cross-border transport operators, Iipumbu urged heightened vigilance, advising them to suspend travel whenever they feel unsafe and immediately contact designated government officials for assistance.

Repatriation programme launched

She added that Namibia had strengthened patrols along its border with South Africa to prevent illegal cross-border movements, while immigration officials, police officers and border security teams had been placed on high alert.

Meanwhile, the Namibian government has launched a voluntary repatriation programme for citizens wishing to leave South Africa.

Authorities are preparing for the possible return of about 1 000 Namibians, with the Ministry of Urban and Rural Development instructing regional councils to identify and prepare temporary accommodation facilities ahead of their arrival.

On the diplomatic front, international relations minister Selma Ashipala-Musavyi said Namibia's High Commission in Pretoria was maintaining constant contact with Namibian communities across South Africa to monitor their safety and coordinate any assistance required.

[email protected]


Comments

Namibian Sun 2026-08-17

No comments have been left on this article

Please login to leave a comment