Family seeks answers over Okahandja dumpsite death
The family of 24-year-old Usiel Keibeb, who reportedly died after he was accidentally run over at the Okahandja dumpsite, says they are seeking answers about the circumstances of his death.
Keibeb died on 25 June at the municipal dumpsite, where many unemployed residents collect recyclable materials and other items to sell.
His uncle, Berikondja Keibeb (31), recalled the events leading up to the death of his nephew in an interview with Namibian Sun last week.
He said the pair had gone to the dumpsite, as they often did, to search for items that could be resold to earn an income.
He claimed Usiel jumped onto a Beefcor bakkie delivering waste to the site in an attempt to reach newly discarded material before it was spread across the landfill.
The truck was towing a trailer when Keibeb reportedly slipped and was caught under the wheels.
According to eyewitness accounts, the incident occurred at about 17:00.
Family friend Ernesto Eiseb (22), who was at the dumpsite, said the incident happened within seconds.
"I was collecting firewood nearby for us to cook later. When I looked back, I saw he had tried to jump onto the Mahindra bakkie. His hand slipped and the trailer ran over him."
Eiseb said people immediately shouted for the driver to stop.
Berikondja Keibeb alleged that, instead of taking the injured man directly to hospital, the driver drove them to the company's premises.
"I held him in my arms on the way back," he said. "I thought they were taking us straight to the hospital, but instead they drove back to the Beefcor office first. Usiel was still alive. He was trying to say something."
According to Berikondja, the driver allegedly entered the company's offices while they remained in the vehicle. He claims that police officers and a private ambulance arrived only several minutes later.
"He looked at me for the last time in my eyes and died while I held him," Berikondja said.
The family's account could not be independently verified.
Blaming ‘no one’
Keibeb’s mother, Katrina Keibeb, described her eldest son as one of the family’s breadwinners, despite his being unemployed.
"He was one of the breadwinners together with me," she told Namibian Sun. "He would go out every day to hustle and would always come home with something for the family. He wasn't working, which is why he went to the dumpsite to collect things he could sell."
Keibeb leaves behind a four-year-old son.
While acknowledging that her son took a risk by jumping onto the bakkie, Katrina said the family wants answers.
"I blame no one for his death. I just want clarity about what happened. People must also admit when mistakes were made," she said.
The family said they approached Beefcor because the truck involved belonged to the company.
According to the family, a human resources representative informed them that a police investigation was underway and that the company could say little while it continued.
The family also claims an investigating officer told them the driver had not been arrested because he had a valid driver’s licence and the vehicle was roadworthy.
These claims could not be independently verified.
Relatives say they have had no contact with the driver since the accident.
"We are not angry," one family member said. "We simply wonder why he has never come to speak to us."
The family said assistance from the Motor Vehicle Accident (MVA) Fund would contribute towards funeral expenses.
They were also advised to approach Beefcor for financial assistance but say they are uncomfortable doing so.
"How do we ask for help from people who already know what happened?" a family member asked. "It feels like we would be begging."
During a visit to Beefcor on Friday, a human resources officer told Namibian Sun the company could not comment as the case is open and investigations are ongoing.



Comments
Namibian Sun
No comments have been left on this article