• Home
  • NMH HUB
  • Fraudulent Sanlam payout spent on ‘Christmas food, mahangu fields’

Fraudulent Sanlam payout spent on ‘Christmas food, mahangu fields’

Tuyeimo Haufiku

A nurse accused in the alleged N$1.3 million fraudulent Sanlam insurance claim told the Ondangwa Magistrate’s Court that part of the money he allegedly received was spent on Christmas food for his mother, clothes for his children and repairing his broken car.

Sanlam co-accused Festus Amwaalwa made the revelations during his bail hearing on Monday, where he faces four counts of fraud and corruption linked to an alleged fraudulent insurance claim submitted in the name of Klaudia Martin.

The alleged scheme dates back to 2020 and involves Abner Mateus, who is also accused of masterminding the attack on late Ondangwa control prosecutor Justine Shiweda in October last year. Shiweda died in February from injuries sustained in the attack.

According to court testimony, Mateus allegedly instructed Martin to submit a claim to Sanlam using manipulated medical diagnosis documents.

The documents were allegedly verified by intern doctor Kelsey Kudumo, who was introduced to hospital cleaner Hella Mpinge before the paperwork reportedly reached Amwaalwa.

Amwaalwa, who worked at Onandjokwe Hospital as an oncology nurse, told the court he received N$35 000 from the payout as a “token of appreciation” for facilitating introductions between the parties.

He further testified that N$100 000 was deposited into his sister’s bank account.

“I used the money to repair my broken car, bought clothes for my four children, bought my mother Christmas food, and ploughed mahangu fields at my village at Oneputa, as well as my own field in the Okankolo constituency," he said.

"I also bought fencing materials for my field,” he testified.

Alleged money transfers

Amwaalwa told the court he is a single father to four children and also financially supports orphaned relatives studying at tertiary institutions.

He pleaded with magistrate Boraface Konga to grant him bail, arguing that he is enrolled as a nursing student at the University of Namibia Oshakati campus and considers himself “a valuable asset” to society.

He claimed portions of the money were distributed to other individuals allegedly linked to the scheme.

He testified that Kudumo allegedly received N$20 000, Ottilie Johannes allegedly received N$40 000, while Mpinge allegedly received N$5 000.

Amwaalwa told the court that the N$100 000 deposited into his sister’s account was allegedly transferred by Mpinge. He said he offered his sister N$2 000 as a gesture of appreciation for allowing the use of her account, but she allegedly refused the money.

Mpinge, a cleaner at Onandjokwe Hospital, has been linked to Mateus in the investigation but has not been arrested in connection with the matter.

The State is represented by Erastus Kristiana. The bail hearing continued yesterday, with five other accused linked to the alleged scheme expected to apply for bail.

Comments

Namibian Sun 2026-05-20

No comments have been left on this article

Please login to leave a comment