Veil of secrecy over Kora court battle

07 October 2019 | Justice

A veil of secrecy has fallen over government's attempts to retrieve the N$23.5 million that was siphoned out of the country through the so-called Kora All-Africa Music Awards scandal.

The ongoing court saga, which has been dragging on since 2016, has now been marked “in-camera”.

The Namibia Tourism Board (NTB) sued Mundial Telecom Sarl, Kora awards founder Ernest Adjovi and Tonata Shiimi in September 2016 for N$23.5 million (plus 20% interest), which was paid for the purchase of a platinum tourism package it never received.

Mundial Telecom owns the rights to host the Kora awards while Adjovi acted as the president of the company and Shiimi was the national director of the awards.

Last year the High Court ruled it does not have jurisdiction over Adjovi in his personal capacity and also that Mundial Telecom Sarl, which failed to adhere to a previous court order setting a time limit for the filing of documents in the matter, was barred from pleading its defence to the claim lodged against it.

The matter was postponed last Monday until 9 November when NTB's lawyer Kaijata Kangueehi's term as an acting judge ends.

The matter has now also been marked as “in-camera”.

This describes court cases or parts thereof where the public and media are not allowed access.

All documentation and information regarding the court case, which stretches back to 2016, have since been move from the online justice portal and is no longer available.

Namibian Sun has since last Monday been trying to find out why the matter is now being held in-camera. However, all efforts proved futile.

NTB CEO Digu //Noabeb said he does not know why the matter was being held in-camera and referred Namibian Sun to Kangueehi, who has since last Tuesday not responded to questions sent to him. He was also unreachable on his mobile phone.

Efforts to find out from Judge Herman Oosthuizen also proved futile and emails sent to his secretary and/or assistant were never answered.

Both environment minister Pohamba Shifeta and ministry spokesperson Romeo Muyunda were also unable to comment.

Namibian Sun reported in October last year that Adjovi accused the NTB of deliberately seeking the dismissal of the High Court case involving the Kora millions, due to sensitive information that can implicate government.

This revelation is contained in an affidavit filed by Adjovi.

In his affidavit lodged on 21 September 2018, Adjovi said his allegations against the government were not unsubstantiated.

“The NTB is opportunistically seeking the dismissal of the matter due to sensitive information that might be revealed to the public with regards to decisions and actions taken by the government revolving around the failed Kora awards,” he said.

He added this would come to light should the matter proceed to trial.

According to Adjovi, the NTB was doing everything in its powers to prevent the matter from going to trial.

He further denied any criminal charges against him or that he was party to any corrupt practices.

//Naobeb at time said it was a serious concern that Adjovi continued to rely on the same unsubstantiated but serious allegations against government.

“The deponent of the answering affidavit has provided no shred of evidence whatsoever to support allegations against the government and such allegations are vague and embarrassing and vexatious to the core.”

The matter stems from a written agreement that NTB concluded for a tourism promotion package on 4 December 2015 with Mundial Telecom Sarl, in respect of the 2016 All-Africa Kora Music Awards ceremony, which was scheduled to be held on 20 March 2016 in Namibia.

The ceremony was initially slated to take place on 13 December 2015, but was then postponed.

As per the contract that was signed on 4 December 2015, the NTB had to pay N$23.5 million on or before 10 December 2015.

However, the first payment of N$5 million was made on 22 December 2015 and the second (N$5 million) on 23 December 2015.

On 7 January 2016 another N$5 million was transferred and on 17 February 2016, N$8.5 million paid.

The money was paid into the bank account of Mundial Telecom in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.

The last payment was done about a month before the awards were to take place in Namibia, while the promised promotional package guaranteed promotional television clips featuring Namibia would be on all participating African television stations by at least 20 January 2016.

In the event that the ceremony did not take place in Namibia, the NTB was to be refunded the amount paid, less reasonable expenses incurred, within 60 days.

[email protected]

ELLANIE SMIT

Similar News

 

Man in court for registering 'fake' accident

1 day - 22 January 2020 | Justice

A 58-year-old man arrested at Aranos last Friday for allegedly providing false information relating to an accident made his first appearance in the Aranos Magistrate's...

Nation awaits EVM judgement with bated breath

3 days ago - 20 January 2020 | Justice

Namibians must wait until February 6 to hear whether the Supreme Court will uphold the outcome of the November 27 general election or order a...

Evidence stuck in grieving mother's thigh

3 days ago - 20 January 2020 | Justice

A N$3 million wrongful death lawsuit against the police stemming from the killing of a child who was struck by a stray bullet on Valentine's...

Who's who in EVM Supreme Court battle

6 days ago - 17 January 2020 | Justice

The bench Chief Justice Peter Shivute Justice Sylvester Mainga Justice Dave Smuts Justice Elton Hoff Justice Baaitse Nkabinde ...

Katrina turns to Supreme Court

6 days ago - 17 January 2020 | Justice

Former education minister Katrina Hanse-Himarwa is turning to the Supreme Court to challenge her criminal conviction.The former Hardap governor, who was found guilty of corruption...

Shanghala employeeon abandons bail bid

6 days ago - 17 January 2020 | Justice

Nigel Van Wyk, who faces charges related to the Fishrot corruption case, had to abandon a bail application scheduled for 10 January because he could...

‘Daddy touched my cookie’

1 week ago - 16 January 2020 | Justice

JEMIMA BEUKES The stepsister of an eight-year-old girl who was allegedly raped by her 69-year-old father has revealed that the family had...

Details emerge in councillor's assault case

2 weeks ago - 06 January 2020 | Justice

A Christmas get-together at Arevesheneka village in Kavango East led to the arrest of Ndiyona Constituency Councillor Eugen Likuwa and his wife Clementine Mpande, after...

Councillor denied bail in assault case

3 weeks ago - 31 December 2019 | Justice

The Swapo councillor for Ndiyona Constituency, Eugen Likuwa, (49), who was arrested for allegedly assaulting and threatening to kill his wife on Christmas Day, was...

Fishrot 6 stay in jail

3 weeks ago - 30 December 2019 | Justice

The so-called Fishrot Six will remain in prison until at least February 2020, after Acting High Court Judge Kobus Miller dismissed their urgent application to...

Latest News

Fishrot bribery ring widens

19 hours ago | Crime

While the main accused in the Fishrot bribery scandal await a hearing date in the Supreme Court to challenge their incarceration, another hanger-on, who allegedly...

Learners sent home over broken...

19 hours ago | Education

The over 1 200 learners at Max Makushe Senior Secondary School in the Kavango East Region have been sent home until further notice because of...

Rich man, poor man

19 hours ago | Opinion

For African citizens, the debates and discussions by the elite in Davos seem like a world away.The World Economic Forum (WEF) hosts an annual meeting...

12.5m in SADC face hunger

19 hours ago | Disasters

The number of food insecure people in southern Africa is projected to peak at 12.5 million through March 2020, an increase of 15% compared to...

Parents fume over costly new...

19 hours ago | Education

Parents say the introduction of good-looking school uniforms does not guarantee an improvement in academic performance, behaviour or attendance.Last week, Namibian Sun caught up with...

A beacon of hope

19 hours ago | Education

The Tsintsabis Combined School's feeding programme has received resounding support from stakeholders since its implementation in 2004, acting principal Christalina Narubes said.During an interview at...

'Pay up Samherji'

19 hours ago | Short News

Popular Democratic Movement (PDM) leader McHenry Venaani says Icelandic fishing company Samherji should take responsibility for the thousands of Namibian fishermen who lost their jobs...

Former cop appears for internet...

19 hours ago | Crime

The Walvis Bay Magistrate's Court has denied bail to a 30-year-old former policeman who made his first appearance on charges of internet fraud on Tuesday.Ricardo...

Grand Prix series begins

19 hours ago | Sports

The first Athletics Namibia series event of the year is set to take place this Saturday at the Grootfontein Independence Stadium. The 2020 Grand...

Load More