Rain on our doorstep

Further rain is expected today and tomorrow over most parts of the country, apart from the //Karas Region.

11 October 2019 | Local News

Clouds are gathering across broad swathes of Namibia and there are expectations of widespread rainfall over most parts of the country today and tomorrow.

In a welcome outlook provided by the Namibia Meteorological Service (NMS), chief meteorologist Odillo Kgobetsi said the first rain of the season was expected on Wednesday in all the northern regions and in the east, including Gobabis. Further rain is expected today and tomorrow over most parts of the country, apart from the //Karas Region, he said.

“More than 15 mm is expected in places in the central-north, north-west and the Hardap and Khomas regions over the weekend.”



Seasonal

A recent statement on rainfall prospects for the rest of the year said the outlook for the next three months looked positive.

The statement noted that during October, November and December the country is likely to receive normal to above-normal rainfall.

During the January, February March window next year, however, Namibia is expected to receive normal to below-normal rainfall except over the Zambezi Region where normal to above-normal rainfall is forecast.

Dirkse states further that there is 35% probability in the above-normal category, a 40% probability in the normal category and 25% probability in the below-normal category for the period October to December 2019.

During the period January to March 2020 most of the country can expect a 25% probability of above-normal rains, a 40% probability in the normal category and 35% probability in the below-normal category.

In the Zambezi Region there is a 35% probability of above-normal rainfall, a 40% probability in the normal category and 25% probability in the below-normal category.

The statement underlined that since August 2019 the sea surface temperatures in the equatorial central and eastern Pacific Ocean have been above average but ENSO neutral and are expected to continue as ENSO neutral.

A small number of models predict redevelopment of a weak El Nino towards the end of the year or early 2020.

There is a 40% likelihood for the development of weak El Nino towards the end of the year and 50% likelihood that ENSO-neutral conditions will prevail.

Statistical and dynamic climate prediction models were used to determine the likelihood of above-normal, normal and below-normal rainfall for each area for overlapping three-monthly periods.

Below-normal is defined as within the driest third of rainfall amounts of the 30 years (1971 to 2000 and/or 1981 to 2010) rainfall amounts, while above-normal rainfall is defined as lying within the wettest third of recorded rainfall amounts and normal is the middle third, centred on the climatological median.

JANA-MARI SMITH

Similar News

 

Aanamapya taya galikanene omvula

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | Local News

Omukokele gwomoshitopolwa shaKavango East okwa popi kutya okwa tegelela nomukumo omuloka omuwanawa opo a vule okutameka iilonga mepya lye molwaashoka okwa hala okuhulitha po onkalo...

Fishermen protest over Fishrot

3 days ago - 05 December 2019 | Local News

Around 300 fishermen gathered outside the Kuisebmond Stadium in Walvis Bay this week to protest against bail being granted to former cabinet ministers Bernhard Esau...

Omahogololo gelelo lyaShakati ga kalekwa

3 days ago - 05 December 2019 | Local News

Omahogololo ngoa oga kalekwa omanga aakuthimbinga yaadhika ya gongala nale pehala mpoka pwa li pe na okuningilwa omahogololo ngoka.Ngoka ta longo pehala lyomunambelewa omukuluntu...

Aaniilonga yomomeya ya ningi ekanka

3 days ago - 05 December 2019 | Local News

Konyala aaniilonga yomomeya ya thika po 300 oya ningi ekanka pondje yokapale kaKuisebmond mOmbaye, ye li ompinge negandjo lyomboloha koominista nale Bernhardt Esau oshowo Sakeus...

Swapo trio out in the cold

4 days ago - 04 December 2019 | Local News

STAFF REPORTER At least three Swapo members who had tendered their resignations - or were legally obliged to do so in pursuit of seats in...

Ondholongo yaLuno yuudha noonkondo

4 days ago - 04 December 2019 | Local News

Oshikondo shoNamibian Correctional Service (NCS) momwedhi gwa piti osha lundululile aanadholongo 150 okuza mOluno Correctional Facility moshitopolwa shaShana komandiki galwe goodholongo miitopolwa iyali yaKavango.Shoka...

Oshana otashi tsikile nokumona omuloka guli nawa

4 days ago - 04 December 2019 | Local News

Shika oshikando oshititatu iitopolwa yomonooli tayi lokwa nawa nomahala ogendji ngoka haga kala nomeya unene moshitopolwa shaShana oguudha nale omeya, omanga iitopolwa yimwe inaya lokwa...

150 inmates moved to ease overcrowding

5 days ago - 03 December 2019 | Local News

The Namibian Correctional Service (NCS) has transferred 150 inmates from the Oluno Correctional Facility in Oshana to three correctional facilities in the two Kavango regions.The...

It wasn't war - Geingob

5 days ago - 03 December 2019 | Local News

President Hage Geingob, whose popularity waned by 31% from his 87% in the 2014 general election to 56% in the just-ended 2019 poll, has admitted...

Geingob otaka hupitha oolye?

5 days ago - 03 December 2019 | Local News

OMUTOOLINKUNDANA GWOMENISho oominista oshowo aapevi minista 13 ya gumo momusholondondo gwiilyo yOmutumba gwoPaliamende shoSwapo e shi pondola owala okumona iipundi 63 moPaliamende, Omupresidende Hage Geingob...

Latest News

Creating a digital mindset for...

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | Opinion

Jason AverbookDo you ever look back on your New Year’s resolutions (if you make them)? Do you even remember what they were? Maybe you resolve...

Article 47 bites back at...

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | Politics

The Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) has approached attorney-general Albert Kawana for legal advice on how to deal with the situation arising from its enforcement...

Retrenched fishermen narrate ordeal

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | Fishing

“My car was repossessed by the bank as I could no longer honour my payment obligations,” Sylvester Mbadi, a former employee of Namsov, has told...

Economic misery fuels suicides

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | Health

Close to 400 people died by suicide between January and September 2019 and experts warn that Namibia's economic crisis, lack of jobs and the crippling...

Highly mechanised

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | People

Justicia Shipena Vivacious Marco Swart is a mechanical technician in the packaging engineering department at Namibia Breweries Limited (NBL) - a subsidiary of the Ohlthaver...

Compassion is the new fashion

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | People

Evany van WykMarizelle Pienaar lives by the motto, “the more you have to do, the more you get done.” She believes in being a balanced...

Never say never

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | People

Mariselle StofbergHester Uushona is a firm believer that being average in life is not an option. She strives towards making her mark while providing others...

Not all with be festive

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | Columns

As the festive season approaches in full-force, many are yearning to spend time with their loved ones away from the stress work and the accompanying...

Talent knows no borders

2 days ago - 06 December 2019 | Cultural

Ester Kamati Still digesting the news after receiving his award on 30 November in Burkina Faso, Visagie is passionate about ensuring that the arts are...

Load More