Omusati still waiting for drought aid
Less than 9% of households which registered for the drought relief programme in the region were helped in June and July.
15 August 2019 | Economics
The call was made on Tuesday the governor of Omusati, Erginus Endjala, during president Hage Geingob’s Town Hall Meeting at Outapi.
The region registered 33 930 drought-affected households to benefit from the drought relief programme. Endjala said only 2 898 households benefited from the programme during June and July.
“This is a population of 16 339 beneficiaries and most of the affected groups are women, children, pensioners and child-headed households,” he said.
The Office of Prime Minister (OPM) has provided two trucks and a water tanker from the Namibian Defence Force to supply water to the needy communities, while the ministry of agriculture, water and forestry (MAWF) in June this year made available 1 450 bales of free feed to assist poor farmers.
A total of 133 farmers benefited from the initiative, Endjala said, adding that 120 subsidy claims, totalling N$55 480, were submitted for payment.
The MAWF in collaboration with OPM granted N$1 million to the region for the installation of three boreholes and for cleaning and pumping seven test boreholes, rehabilitating eight hand pumps and purchasing materials for a 56km pipeline.
Endjala said NamWater pumped water from Calueque in southern Angola into the Etaka-Uuvudhiya canal to the relief of cattle owners in the Omusati and Oshana regions.
While acknowledging the increasing number of would-be drought relief programme beneficiaries countrywide, prime minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila at the same meeting called on employed Namibian individuals to come forth and contribute 2% from their income to the programme, as the government’s budget for the programme is faced with a deficit.
Some N$104 million has so far been contributed to the programme. - Nampa