'Missing millions' mystery at Okahao

19 June 2019 | Infrastructure

The upgrading and renovation work at the Okahao district hospital, which had been abandoned eight years amid allegations that the contractor had received an upfront payment of N$17 million, has resumed.

Efforts by former health minister Bernard Haufiku to recover the money paid to Messrs failed, after health officials disagreed with him about the upfront payment, claiming that the N$17 million was in fact not paid upfront to Messrs Property Decorative Developer and that the company had not run away with any government funds.

The project was abandoned by Messrs for no apparent reason in 2010 and has now been awarded to a Namibian-owned company that has subcontracted the work to a Chinese firm and a local SME.

The project includes upgrading the hospital's outpatient department, pharmacy, radiography department, dental clinic, laboratory, eye clinic and communicable disease control (CDC) department.

In 2012 the works ministry cancelled Messrs' contract.

According to Omusati health director Alfons Amoomo the project cost currently stands at N$23 million and construction resumed in December last year.

The projected is expected to be completed by the end of July next year.

Amoomo confirmed it includes the casualty section and the construction of ablution facilities.

“The (new) contractor is a Namibian-owned company which has subcontracted a Chinese-owned company and other Namibian SME. Construction work started last year December and is expected to be completed at the end of July 2020. Most importantly, the renovation is progressing well and is on track,” Amoomo said.

Haufiku, during his tenure that was abruptly ended in December last year by President Hage Geingob, started a process to recover N$16 million of the N$17 million paid to Messrs in 2010.

According to Haufiku, the money was paid to the company before work started on the project.

He said the work done before the project was abandoned had not been worth N$17 million.

Haufiku said at the time that the works ministry had monitored the project and he did not understand how the contractor could be paid before doing the work.

This came to light in 2015 when the hospital's senior medical officer, Dr Mary Nandjebo, said about N$17 million had been paid to the contractor.

However, the ministry's senior health programme officer, Martin Mukulu, asserted that the ministry had only paid for work done and approved by the consultants on the project.

“There was no advance payment on this project and therefore the contractor did not run away with any government funds. The contractor also forfeited the performance guarantee provided to government on the project as part of the contract agreement and conditions of employment,” Mukulu said.

Mukulu's version was supported by Amoomo who said no advance payment was done and therefore no money could be recovered.

“The contractor was never paid such an amount and the ministry has followed all procedures as outlined in the contract agreement. For example, most of their construction materials and equipment were retained and handed over to the new contractor,” Amoomo said.

Efforts to get comment from Haufiku, who is now a special advisor on health issues in the Office of the President, failed as he could not be reached on his cellphone.

ILENI NANDJATO

Similar News

 

Cable break affects internet

4 days ago - 20 January 2020 | Infrastructure

Internet activity throughout Namibia came to a near standstill on Thursday after two breaks in the South Atlantic 3/West Africa (WACS) submarine cables occurred. ...

Idle RCC strains emergency fund

1 week ago - 16 January 2020 | Infrastructure

Despite being currently dormant, state-owned Roads Contractor Company (RCC) continues to dip its hands into the government's contingency fund to pay salaries of N$5.4 million...

Local partner offered N$10m to abandon tender

1 month - 23 December 2019 | Infrastructure

A local construction company, Onamagongwa Trading Enterprise (OTE), which until recently was a joint-venture partner with China Railway Seventh Company, claims that it was offered...

Chinese scoop N$900m rail tender

1 month - 12 December 2019 | Infrastructure

The Chinese state-owned China Gezhouba Group Company Limited has been awarded the tender for upgrading the railway line between Walvis Bay and Kranzberg. ...

NHE loses N$10m in rental incompetence

2 months ago - 19 November 2019 | Infrastructure

A senior manager at the National Housing Enterprise, Willem Titus, is accused of failing to issue invoices for the sale of several houses at Ongwediva,...

WBCG grows regional economies

2 months ago - 19 November 2019 | Infrastructure

CATHERINE SASMANSince the establishment of the Walvis Bay Corridor Group (WBCG) 19 years ago, trade volumes from neighbouring countries have grown from zero to more...

TransNamib a mono oobiliyona 2.5

3 months ago - 15 October 2019 | Infrastructure

Omunambelewa omukomeho gwoTransNamib, Johny Smith okwa popi kutya oombaanga dhaNamiba oshowo ombaanga dhomuumbugantu waAfrica odha gandja ezimino lyoshimaliwa shoobiliyona 2.5 kehangano ndyoka lya yama...

A place to call home

4 months ago - 18 September 2019 | Infrastructure

Low-income residents in Oshakati and Okahao are paving the way to becoming homeowners as part of an innovative low-cost housing project.At Okahao, more than N$1.2...

Billions for new power lines

4 months ago - 29 August 2019 | Infrastructure

As part of its new strategic plan, NamPower is expected to spend upward of N$1 billion on the construction of three new heavy-current power lines...

Logistics vision gathers steam

4 months ago - 27 August 2019 | Infrastructure

Recent upgrades to Namibia's roads, railways and ports have brought the country closer to reaching logistical and economic targets.According to the Walvis Bay Corridor Group...

Latest News

A peek into the HR...

14 hours ago | People

Julia MushellengaThere are a few initiatives one can use to empower employees, but my main preference is through engagement. It’s important to create engagement platforms...

Same old, same old

14 hours ago | Education

At Nkurenkuru Combined School in Kavango West Region, learners are being taught under trees, seated on the floor or standing for hours due to a...

Fishrot bail strategy revealed

14 hours ago | Justice

The six men accused of accepting bribes worth N$150 million in the so-called Fishrot scandal have so far avoided applying for bail to protect details...

N$60m in SA worker funds...

14 hours ago | Banking

A whopping N$60 million belonging to the South African Municipal Workers Union National Provident Fund was among the so-called investments that have gone missing as...

Bank Windhoek assigns Muukua with...

14 hours ago | Society

Bank Windhoek has appointed Veripura Muukua as its new Communication Practitioner, tasked with Corporate Social Investment (CSI) and Stakeholder Engagement, effective Wednesday, 15 January 2020.In...

Investing in the people

14 hours ago | Society

Mariselle Stofberg“A new decade signals a time for reflection and focus on new opportunities that lie untapped before us. A decade passed teaches of victories,...

Commit to be fit

14 hours ago | People

Mariselle Stofberg It takes exceptional perseverance and determination to continue to chase your dreams despite adversity and complications that may arise. Jonathan Mweneni Mwafangeo has...

The value of the journey

14 hours ago | People

Mariselle Stofberg“So many times I focused on what I wanted to become, neglecting the process required to get there. As I matured, I realised the...

The struggle kids conundrum

14 hours ago | Opinion

The issue of struggle kids being prioritised for cleaner and labourer jobs has again reared its ugly head in the form of ongoing protests at...

Load More