Genocide lawsuit filed in New York

Affected victims want restorative justice

09 January 2017 | Local News

Leaders of the OvaHerero and Nama traditional authorities filed a lawsuit against Germany in the United States last week, demanding their direct inclusion in ongoing joint negotiations for genocide compensation and reparations instead of the two governments leading the talks.

The complainants filed the federal class action lawsuit at a Manhattan Federal Court in New York on Thursday demanding that the lawful representatives of the OvaHerero and Nama people are given a central role in negotiations “in order to assure that their minority, indigenous and human rights are properly protected.”

The complainants further ask that the court grant the request in order to ensure that the “claims against Germany relating to the 1904-1908 Genocide not be compromised or settled without their participation or permission.”

OvaHerero paramount chief Vekuii Rukoro and Chief David Frederick, Chairman of the Nama Traditional Authorities Association are listed as the primary complainants, against the Federal Republic of Germany.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the Nama and OvaHerero people of Namibia, Botswana, South Africa, the United States and elsewhere, a statement issued last week noted.

The lawsuit was made necessary as a result of “having repeatedly petitioned the German government to include them in the ongoing discussions, without success,” the statement explained.

The complainants sued under the Alien Tort Statue, a 1789 United States law that is often invoked in human rights cases and lawyers representing the complainants at McCallion & Associates, LLP, said the particular law leaves the door open for US courts to assert jurisdiction in genocide cases.

The suit chiefly asks that the court demand and restrain Germany from continuing to exclude the complainants from participation in discussions and negotiations regarding the Herero and Nama genocide.

Filed court papers show that the lawsuit is centred on the actions of Germans in Namibia between 1885 and 1908, during which the complainants say more than 100 000 died as a result of German policies and actions, and led to the colonial authorities seizing over 130 000 square kilometres of land without consent.

“The OvaHerero and Nama indigenous people were robbed, during the German colonial occupation period, of virtually all of the rich grazing lands that provided the economic basis for their communities and cultural heritage.”

As a result, the groups were “condemned for generations to perpetual and institutionalised poverty”, a statement issued by the legal representatives from McCallion & Associates, LLP, stated.

Uprisings against German colonial policies and authority eventually led to thousands more casualties, based on the sanctioning of policies aimed at annihilating the OvaHerero and Nama, including the creation of numerous concentration camps and forced labour around the country, the court summary states.

Nevertheless, after “decades of denying that the near destruction and eradication” of the two groups took place, Germany has “refused to include representatives of the OvaHerero and Nama peoples” in the joint-negotiations which began last year.

In July 2016, the Namibian Sun reported that OvaHerero and Nama leaders said government's role in the reparation talks should be restricted to mediator, but that the affected communities should have direct representation during the talks.

In the court documents, the complainants argue that a resolution to the negotiations cannot take place effectively if the relevant people affected by the events are excluded.

Reports published last month in an international newspaper noted that Germany was negotiating according to strict guidelines and that personal reparations would not be considered. Instead, German negotiations had reportedly proposed various funding projects, a proposal that has been slammed by representatives in the OvaHerero and Nama groups who questioned whether such aid would reach the relevant people.

Last week, Namibia's special envoy on German reparations, Zed Ngavirue, told Namibian Sun that he was not aware of such guidelines and that a final agreement would depend on both Namibia and Germany agreeing to the terms of the final agreement.



JANA-MARI SMTIH

Similar News

 

Govt to probe SOE ‘milking’

3 days ago - 17 September 2021 | Local News

OGONE TLHAGE WINDHOEKThe public enterprises ministry is tightening its grip on state-owned enterprises (SOEs)...

Homeless ‘rescued’, then abandoned

3 days ago - 17 September 2021 | Local News

JEMIMA BEUKES/LIMBA MUPETAMI WINDHOEK“We were better off on the streets.” These are the sentiments of some of the homeless people sheltered...

Uutoni rejects Wu discounted land deal

3 days ago - 17 September 2021 | Local News

Kenya Kambowe DIVINDUUrban and rural development minister Erastus Uutoni has rejected a controversial...

Katima still drowning in rubbish

3 days ago - 17 September 2021 | Local News

ELLANIE SMITWINDHOEKAlmost three months after the community of Katima Mulilo complained about poor service delivery in the town, which led to streets overflowing with rubbish...

City ‘overcharges’ Omuramba for electricity

3 days ago - 17 September 2021 | Local News

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEKThe City of Windhoek has been dragged to court for allegedly charging the Omuramba Medical Centre body corporate for...

Traffic camera deal: PG to decide

4 days ago - 16 September 2021 | Local News

JANA-MARI SMITH WINDHOEKPolice chief Sebastian Ndeitunga says the police will submit their findings of...

Investigate Rehoboth – PDM

4 days ago - 16 September 2021 | Local News

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEKPopular Democratic Movement (PDM) member of parliament Jennifer van der Heever...

Otweya houses to see the light

4 days ago - 16 September 2021 | Local News

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEKErongo governor Neville Andre has confirmed that they are pushing to fast-track the electrification process of the 142 houses...

SME Bank depositors still licking their wounds

5 days ago - 15 September 2021 | Local News

OGONE TLHAGE WINDHOEK Depositors of liquidated SME Bank are still waiting to receive their...

PG still deciding on Seibeb’s treason charge

5 days ago - 15 September 2021 | Local News

JEMIMA BEUKES/JEANETTE DIERGAARDT WINDHOEKHaving succeeded in the fight to prove that their suspensions were...

Latest News

Eagles on point

12 hours ago | Sports

LIMBA MUPETAMIFollowing an eventful and nerve-wracking run chase, Namibia's Capricorn Eagles (90/8) beat Tanzania (89/7) by two wickets, with two balls remaining in the semi-final...

Blue Waters plan to go...

12 hours ago | Sports

LIMBA MUPETAMIPaulus Shipanga said this after his side Blue Waters defeated Western Spurs 6-4 in penalties at the Jan Wilken Stadium in Mariental after a...

Tigers netballers still in the...

12 hours ago | Sports

LIMBA MUPETAMIThe head coach of Tigers, Morné Pienaar, says the team is doing very well in the MTC Namibia Netball Premier League because the shooters...

Capricorn remains resilient amidst Covid

12 hours ago | Business

Jo-Maré Duddy – Locally-listed Capricorn Group, with Bank Windhoek as its flagship brand, has provided payment holidays on loans freeing up N$343 million in cash...

NAFAU to represent NIDA employees

12 hours ago | Economics

PHILLEPUS UUSIKU The Namibia Industrial Development Agency (NIDA) and the Namibia Food and Allied Workers Union (NAFAU) signed the recognition agreement on Friday. The union...

Bleeding TransNamib to retrench 340...

12 hours ago | Transport

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKTransNamib intends to retrench 340 of its 1 309 employees within the coming weeks, its CEO Johny Smith has informed public enterprises minister Leon...

N$9.5bn guarantees for SOE borrowing

12 hours ago | Economics

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKGovernment guarantees to back borrowing by public enterprises stood at N$9.5 billon as at the end of August 2021.This has been confirmed by the...

‘My mother tried to kill...

12 hours ago | Crime

TUYEIMO HAIDULAONANDJOKWE Wilka Shikongo says she cannot believe that the woman she has called mother for 45 years beat her up so severely that...

Pele continues recovery

12 hours ago | Sports

SuperSportSoccer legend Pele continues to recover from colon surgery, with his family posting a video of the 80-year-old Brazilian smiling while undergoing physiotherapy in his...

Load More