Fire destroys 16 shacks at Walvis Bay
12 May 2021 | Accidents
Sixteen shacks were destroyed at Walvis Bay in the Erongo Region after a fire broke out at the town’s Tutaleni location on Monday.
An incident report issued by the Namibian Police Force indicated that four other shacks were also damaged in the blaze.
“It is alleged that the fire was caused by a candle left burning and unattended in the shack at house number 6433 when the occupants went to sleep. The fire then spread to other shacks on different plots,” the report reads.
According to NamPol 11 of the shacks that were destroyed were located on one erf.
“Members of the community and firefighters managed to put out the blaze. No injuries or fatalities were reported, only damage to properties. About 70 families are affected by the fire,” the report concluded.