3.2 km of powerline stolen in Walvis

Adam Hartman
Adam HartmanSwakopmund



Ten electricity poles on Erongo RED’s Rubi line were cut in two separate incidents last week, resulting in the theft of 3.2 kilometres of copper conductors.The line runs behind Dune 7, supplying power to Stone Africa, Dune Seven and other users in the area.



Last Thursday, five poles were cut and 1 600 metres of cable taken. A second incident on Sunday targeted the same line, with another five poles cut and the same amount of conductor stolen.



Benjamin Nangombe, Erongo RED spokesperson, confirmed the incidents and said the matter is under police investigation.



“This is a serious concern for Erongo RED. It is not the first time. There have been many such cases in the region, which affect water provision, telecommunication and other operations and have a serious impact on the economy of the region and even the country. This cannot be tolerated and it causes significant damage in costs,” he said.



Nangombe added that Erongo RED technicians were on the ground repairing the line to restore power supply.



“Our technicians are working to resolve the problems to ensure that customers dependent on this line receive electricity,” he said.



The theft has raised alarm among businesses in the area, with a person noting that the scale of the sabotage “borders on terrorism and should be addressed at the national level”.



Comments

Namibian Sun 2025-11-30

No comments have been left on this article

Please login to leave a comment