• Home
  • LIFE STYLE
  • National Youth Fund application deadline pushed to September
YOUTH FOCUSED: Through the fund, youth-run start-ups can apply for between N$60 000 and N$200 000, with further support available for existing businesses looking to scale up. PHOTO: FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY / KAYEC
YOUTH FOCUSED: Through the fund, youth-run start-ups can apply for between N$60 000 and N$200 000, with further support available for existing businesses looking to scale up. PHOTO: FOR ILLUSTRATIVE PURPOSES ONLY / KAYEC

National Youth Fund application deadline pushed to September

Elizabeth Kheibes
Elizabeth Kheibes



Windhoek



The finance ministry has extended the submission deadline for the pilot phase of the National Youth Fund (NYF) to 4 September, following concerns that the short timeframe could sideline potential applicants.In a statement issued on Friday, the ministry confirmed that applications during the pilot phase must still be handed in at the offices of regional governors. Once the fund is officially launched in September, submissions will be directed to development finance institutions (DFIs) such as the Development Bank of Namibia (DBN), Agribank and the Environmental Investment Fund (EIF).



Khomas governor Sam Nujoma told the Namibian Sun on Monday that the extension was introduced to ensure inclusivity. “We just wanted to allow young people more time,” he said.



“But it is a pilot now. It’s important to note that on 4 September, people shouldn’t get fixated on it,” he added.



“For now, everybody should apply at the governor’s office, but after this pilot, it will be a continuous thing. So those who are not ready to apply now should ready themselves to apply in the next couple of months or next year.”



Nujoma added that his office had introduced a website, a Google Docs form and an SMS line to help young people access information and raise queries remotely, to ensure as many individuals as possible can apply.



“You can just enter this from wherever you are, just like you’ve asked me these questions,” he said.The fund, approved by Cabinet earlier this year, was first announced by finance minister Ericah Shafudah in April as part of efforts to address Namibia’s 44.5% youth unemployment rate. Under the guidelines, start-ups can apply for between N$60 000 and N$200 000, with further support available for existing businesses looking to scale up.



Cabinet has said that funding will be provided through a mix of grants, loans and market-linkage support to help youth-led enterprises reach maturity.



Potential barrier



Despite welcoming the initiative, the Landless People’s Movement (LPM) Youth Command Element warned that the compressed timelines risk undermining the purpose of the scheme.



LPM Youth Command leader Duminga Ndala described the N$257 million fund as a “timely and necessary intervention” to address youth unemployment, poverty and inequality.



“This initiative aligns with our broader strategic vision, particularly the Youth Economic Plan (YEP),” she said. “A central pillar of the YEP is the establishment of a dedicated Youth Development Fund to address the tripartite challenges of unemployment, poverty and inequality that continue to confront our young people.”



Ndala cautioned that the short deadlines could make the process exclusionary.



“The short deadline poses a serious barrier for many young people and reflects a systemic failure in a system that is meant to empower them,” she said.



Comments

Namibian Sun 2025-08-29

No comments have been left on this article

Please login to leave a comment