Luvindao vows action if Otjiwarongo death linked to negligence
Health Minister Esperance Luvindao came under intense scrutiny in parliament this week over the death of a patient at Otjiwarongo District Hospital, amid allegations of medical negligence.
On Wednesday, member of parliament Evilastus Kaaronda raised the matter in the National Assembly, asking: "There’s someone who died in Otjiwarongo, at the hospital… as a result of negligence. Is the minister aware of this? And what are the steps being taken?”
Luvindao quickly cautioned against drawing conclusions before a formal inquiry is completed.
"It is important that we obtain all the necessary facts before we make conclusions. The honourable member, in his question, stated that it is due to negligence."
She added that any evidence the MP could provide should be submitted to assist the process, noting it would support the ongoing investigation into the allegations.
Tragic loss acknowledged
The minister reminded parliament that the health ministry had already issued a statement on 17 February addressing the matter.
In it, the ministry said it had “taken note of the public demonstration held today by the community of Otjiwarongo regarding the tragic passing of Elijah Laurenzo Areseb” and confirmed that it had received enquiries from several media outlets about the alleged medical negligence.
The ministry offered its “deepest condolences to the bereaved family, friends, and the entire Otjiwarongo community during this difficult time," adding that "the loss of a young life is a tragedy that affects us all, and we share in the sorrow of the family. We acknowledge the pain and frustration expressed by the bereaved family and the community members.”
Luvindao echoed these sentiments in parliament.
“The ministry wishes to express its sincere condolences… The loss of a young life is a tragedy that affects every single one of us,” she said.
Due process emphasised
The ministry announced earlier this week it had promptly launched "a comprehensive investigation into the clinical management and circumstances surrounding Mr Areseb’s care”.
Luvindao told MPs she had personally travelled to the region. “Mind you, I was in the region, visited the hospital, and went personally to find out what exactly happened to gather reports and start the investigation. So I was in the region on Monday,” she said.
The media release underlined that, while the community seeks immediate answers, "we must ensure that due process is followed to arrive at a fair and accurate conclusion”.
In parliament, Luvindao reiterated this position.
The ministry said it would act if wrongdoing was confirmed.
“We wish to assure the public that should the investigation find any evidence of negligence, deviation from clinical protocols, or administrative failure, appropriate remedial and disciplinary actions will be taken to ensure accountability,” the statement read.
Luvindao stressed that the ministry is committed to transparency, and “we will ensure to communicate the findings and the way forward once the process is concluded.”



Comments
Namibian Sun
No comments have been left on this article