Windhoek water supply on brink of failure

05 October 2016 | Disasters

Water savings plunged from 32% to 24% in recent weeks, prompting the City of Windhoek to once again plead with residents to take the water crisis seriously and increase savings to reach the 40% target.

“We expected people to behave otherwise, but what we are observing is really quite discouraging,” City of Windhoek spokesperson Joshua Amukugo said on Monday.

He said the refusal of many in the city to save water is “disappointing and scary” and emphasised that the municipality’s strategy for weathering the storm is heavily dependent on the cooperation of all residents.

Amukugo warned that the water crisis has not abated, but is facing its most serious challenge yet, as the dams are expected to run dry soon.

“Given the current water crisis with the traditional supply system on the brink of failing, the supply to Windhoek is in a very precarious situation.”

The Omatako Dam has run dry, with the Swakoppoort measuring approximately 7.8% of capacity and the Von Bach Dam 15.8%. Overall the dams are at 8.1% capacity, compared to 18.7% last year.

Once the dams run dry, the only water supply will be from the municipality’s boreholes (46%), reclaimed water (16%) and only 8% from NamWater. Those sources can only supply about a third of the city’s normal water usage.

Amukugo said the 40% water saving target set for residents, including businesses and the public sector, is “critical to get us through to the next rainy season”.

The bulk of the supply will be sourced from the aquifer, which holds “sufficient water to sustain the city for between two and three years in the absence of the NamWater supply system, and not 13 years as reported,” Amukugo added.

Nevertheless, much needs to be done in order to harvest the groundwater.

“The City of Windhoek is currently actively developing the Windhoek aquifer as the only viable source to sustain the city through the drought. The City is increasing the potential for abstraction from this source to meet the emergency demand brought on as a result of the failure of the normal supply system,” Amukugo said.

However, this is “by no means considered a sustainable (long-term) supply solution and is only implemented as an emergency action to fight the effects of the devastating drought currently experienced.”

The City clarified that the aquifer currently shows a high water table as a result of recharge activities implemented between 2009 and 2011.

The water in the aquifer “has been stored as an emergency supply” and exceptional rains experienced in the previous decade replenished it at an above-normal rate.

According to the City, the plan is to continue to develop the aquifer as a “full backup supply for emergencies” over the next years and to continue to recharge it when sufficient water is available.

The municipality and some members of the public blame the steep decline in water savings on recent media reports in which the minister of agriculture, water and forestry, John Mutorwa, said the city would not run dry because it had alternative water resources.

Similar News

 

Inferno reduces wholesaler to a pile of rubble

2 weeks ago - 02 April 2018 | Disasters

A major fire decimated the Swakopmund Metro Cash & Carry as well as the Metro Liquor branches early this morning, causing damages in the tens...

Rain causes havoc

2 months ago - 16 February 2018 | Disasters

Houses and household items of roughly 60 families were destroyed and blown away by heavy rains and winds over the weekend in the Burgershoek settlement...

Namibgrens robbers set fire to farmhouse

3 months ago - 02 January 2018 | Disasters

The home of the owner of the well-known Namibgrens Guest Farm near the Gamsberg Pass west of Windhoek went up in flames at around 02:30...

Water security still high on agenda

5 months ago - 30 October 2017 | Disasters

Water supply to Windhoek and the rest of central Namibia could be theoretically secured until 2020 subject to efficient water demand measures, a three-year model...

Harvey's path of destruction

7 months ago - 30 August 2017 | Disasters

More than three days after Harvey ravaged the Texas coastline as a Category 4 hurricane, authorities had confirmed only three deaths - including a woman...

Government drafts disaster plan

7 months ago - 25 August 2017 | Disasters

Following several years of natural disasters of devastating floods and droughts that have struck the north-central areas of Namibia, an integrated drought and flood management...

Regional force to distribute food in Kunene

7 months ago - 25 August 2017 | Disasters

Roughly 1 000 military personnel are expected to participate in the Blue Kunene exercise that will distribute humanitarian aid in the Kunene Region from 20...

Zuma stays put

8 months ago - 09 August 2017 | Disasters

South Africa's President Jacob Zuma has survived a motion of no confidence in his presidency, held via secret ballot in parliament.Following a two-hour debate and...

Water secure until 2020

8 months ago - 01 August 2017 | Disasters

With the available water resources, as well as the stipulated Windhoek water savings, NamWater is confident that the water security of the central region, particularly...

104 drought boreholes in limbo

8 months ago - 27 July 2017 | Disasters

The unused boreholes reported on by Namibian Sun last week were not drilled under the South African government's N$100 million donation to Namibia. That funding...

Latest News

Acute teacher shortage

12 hours ago | Economics

The education ministry has appealed for leniency and recognition that despite the directive to reduce state wage bills the ministry is in dire need of...

Africa briefs

12 hours ago | Economics

SA's auditor general cancels all contracts with KPMGSouth Africa’s Auditor General said on Tuesday he is terminating all contracts with auditing firm KPMG over a...

NovaNam, Lalandii start new hake...

12 hours ago | Business

Staff reporter - Last week, Lüderitz-based hake fishing companies, NovaNam and Lalandii, commenced with the cutting of the steel to build the...

Ondonga heir apparent hits back...

12 hours ago | Cultural

One of the claimants to the Ondonga throne, Fillemon Shuumbwa Nangolo, has taken issue with urban and rural development minister Peya Mushelenga following his recent...

PM warns employees of shorter...

12 hours ago | Government

Prime Minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila this week warned staff members of her office that she would not accept complacency and that she would shorten the leash...

40 years after battle of...

12 hours ago | History

The Angolan president, João Lourenço will attend the Cassinga Day commemoration on 4 May as guest of honour and will lay a wreath at Heroes'...

New conservancy land disputed

12 hours ago | Environment

A Kavango West man has accused the Uukwangali Traditional Authority of stealing his land, which he claimed was now allocated to a newly proclaimed conservancy....

Liquidators' powers reined in

12 hours ago | Justice

The extra powers granted to the two liquidators, Dave Bruni and Ian McLaren, by the High Court on 2 February, under whose management the liquidated...

Half a billion worth of...

12 hours ago | Banking

Staff reporter – Total business registered in FNB Namibia’s annual competition for estate agents amounted to about N$550 million, the group said in a statement....

Load More