Southerners to get food banks

While under fire for being unsustainable along with calls for harmonisation, the food bank programme will be launched in the south next.

28 May 2018 | Government

Nearly 2 800 people are to benefit from the poverty ministry's food bank programme in three southern towns within two months as the programme is expanded from the Khomas Region to the rest of the country.

At the launch of the ministry's five-year strategic plan, customer service charter, website and blueprint on wealth distribution and poverty eradication, minister Zephania Kameeta confirmed to Namibian Sun that plans were well under way for establishing food banks in the //Karas and Hardap regions.

Kameeta said the ministry aimed to begin handing out food parcels in the south within the next two months. Street committees have been selected and trained and the majority of beneficiaries have been registered.

Lydia Jossob of the food bank management directorate confirmed that 324 households have been registered as beneficiaries at Mariental.

The food bank programme's pilot phase that was launched in the Khomas Region in 2016 has enabled the ministry to tweak the programme to ensure that the most destitute and needy benefit. This included revising beneficiary qualification criteria, according to which the new beneficiaries have been identified.

At Keetmanshoop, 218 households have been registered, and 140 at Lüderitz. Jossob said these numbers could change after a final assessment of special cases is completed.

Special cases involve households that do not fully comply with the criteria but where the ministry considers special circumstances.

“Although the new criteria will exclude a greater number of people, we will consider special cases once identified by the street committees, particularly for people who receive pensions, war veteran or disability grants, given the circumstances they may find themselves in.”

Kameeta confirmed that the Kunene Region was next in line for a food bank. At the end of 2016, Kunene authorities had already highlighted the urgent need for a food bank in the region, where the majority of residents are suffering because of prolonged droughts and food is scarce.

The Omaheke, Kavango West and East region are also scheduled to join the food bank programme this year.

Earlier this year, the ministry said a number of challenges were experienced during the pilot phase in the Khomas Region.

The challenges included infrastructural and warehousing problems, which have been resolved.

Another challenge was that the original eligibility criteria for food aid were too broad. Initially, more than 22 000 households - a maximum of 94 000 persons - were identified as beneficiaries in the Khomas Region.

With the new criteria, the numbers were reduced by 7 000 households, totalling 64 874 persons.

The ministry has emphasised that the programme is intended for those living in extreme poverty in urban and peri-urban areas, with other government programmes catering for rural residents. The updated criteria exclude households where one or more members earn a permanent income. People receiving pensions or other social grants, war veteran grants or disability grants are excluded, although exceptions can be made.

Other households excluded from receiving food aid are those composed of young adults who are not physically or mentally disabled and have no children to care for.

JANA-MARI SMITH

Similar News

 

Public grills ECN contenders

18 hours ago | Government

OGONE TLHAGEThe Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) has started interviewing candidates for the position of chief electoral officer.For the first time ever, the process, which...

Forgotten clans find their voices

1 day - 18 June 2018 | Government

Descendants of the Ovaherero, Ovambanderu and Nama groups that were exiled into the then British protectorate of Bechuanaland are jostling for inclusion in the genocide...

City tackles 3 000 potholes

1 day - 18 June 2018 | Government

STAFF REPORTERThe City of Windhoek says intends to complete repair work on 3 000 potholes by the end of July. “Although we generally enjoy smooth...

San voices 'ignored'

1 day - 18 June 2018 | Government

The committee of the N‡Jaqna Conservancy says it rejects a proposal for nine exclusive livestock farming units proposed by the Ministry of Land Reform in...

Govt called out on RCC

6 days ago - 13 June 2018 | Government

Outgoing Roads Contractor Company (RCC) board chairperson Fritz Jacobs claims there are deliberate plans to do away with the parastatal in order to favour private...

Ombudsman, govt probe childcare facility

1 week ago - 12 June 2018 | Government

JEMIMA BEUKESOmbudsman John Walters and the child welfare ministry have confirmed investigations into the living conditions of orphans and vulnerable children at a state facility,...

Ondangwa defends mayor's plot allocation

1 week ago - 11 June 2018 | Government

The Ondangwa town council has defended its decision to allocate three business plots to Huhu City, a company owned by the town's mayor, Paavo Amwele,...

Top dentist tells Haufiku to quit

1 week ago - 07 June 2018 | Government

While admitting his frustrations with the health ministry are coming on for over a decade, the country's former chief dentist, Dr Panduleni Itula, has called...

NHE defies N$500 000 govt price cap

1 week ago - 07 June 2018 | Government

The National Housing Enterprise (NHE) has defied a verbal ministerial directive, given by former housing minister Sophia Shaningwa and reiterated by her successor Peya...

Govt coughs up N$58m to City

2 weeks ago - 05 June 2018 | Government

Significant progress has been made in settling government municipal debt owed to the City of Windhoek, with about N$58 million having been paid to date.By...

Latest News

Kingon re-appointed as SARS commissioner

18 hours ago | Economics

South African Revenue Service (SARS) acting commissioner Mark Kingon’s time at the helm has been extended by another three months, after minister of finance Nhlanhla...

Support for refugees

18 hours ago | Economics

NDAMA NAKASHOLEA total of N$13.2 million has been allocated in 2018/19 financial year to the administration of refugees programme under the home affairs ministry.The programme...

Totem

18 hours ago | Economics

Quote of the day“The Minerals Council believes that much more work needs to be done to create a Mining Charter that promotes competitiveness, investment, growth...

Court reins in spies

18 hours ago | Justice

The flimsy fig leaf of national security and secrecy, used by government, especially the Namibia Central Intelligence Service (NCIS), to withhold information in a constitutional...

Phosphate judgment on Thursday

18 hours ago | Environment

Environment minister Pohamba Shifeta has reserved judgment until Thursday on whether the granting of an environmental clearance certificate to Namibian Marine Phosphate (NMP) will be...

Public grills ECN contenders

18 hours ago | Government

OGONE TLHAGEThe Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) has started interviewing candidates for the position of chief electoral officer.For the first time ever, the process, which...

Otjomuise shack fire claims two

18 hours ago | Crime

JANA-MARI SMITH A shack fire in Windhoek’s Otjomuise area killed two people over the weekend.The police reported that the two...

Katrina takes time into own...

18 hours ago | Education

The education ministry has issued a directive that schools may not start earlier than 07:30 or later than 08:30.This follows numerous directives issued by the...

Two in court after drug...

18 hours ago | Justice

Two men arrested in connection with a drug bust at the port of Walvis Bay on Friday made their first court appearance yesterday. Grant Noble...

Load More