Sioka condemns withdrawal of GBV cases
21 September 2020 | Social Issues
Gender equality and child welfare minister Doreen Sioka has condemned victims of gender-based violence (GBV), predominantly women, who withdraw such cases after they have been opened with the police.
The minister says if the country is to succeed in fighting GBV, victims must allow the law to take its course.
She made the remarks in Nkurenkuru on Friday, the same day local newspapers widely reported that the prosecutor-general had declined to prosecute Namibia Qualifications Authority (NQA) CEO Franz Gertze, who last year shot his wife Anittha at least six times in their home.
This is after Anittha allegedly made a statement to the police that her husband was not trying to kill her, but that shots were fired in a tussle over a hunting rifle.
Gertze had initially been charged with attempted murder and negligent discharge of a firearm, read with provisions of the Combating of Domestic Violence Act.
“You girls also, there are some of you being beaten by their husbands or their boyfriends and at the end of the day, you go and withdraw the case or you tell the police don’t arrest him he is looking after my child,” the minister said.
“Let the man be arrested and the law take it course.”
Sioka used the platform to condemn the recent rape of a 12-year-old girl by two unknown men in the presence of her mother in Windhoek’s Havana settlement, describing the horrific incident as cowardice.
“What were they trying to portray?
“Instead of raping an older person they opted to rape the [child]. What has gone in the minds of some men? Why rape someone in the presence of her mother? Why? The aim was to kill all of them if that woman [mother] acted.
“Why should they rape young ones? Men, what is it, can you tell us please? Some of you who are interested in raping children. Is it juju or do you want to become rich?
“A 12-year-old girl you rape her and you also go with a gun, to go and rape. Really you are cowards, cowards of all cowards.” Sioka further said.
The incident happened last week Monday at around 03:00 in the morning when the two armed suspects, who are still on the run, broke into the shack of the family who were asleep and robbed them of N$300 and cellphone worth N$1 200. They then raped the 12-year-old girl repeatedly in the presence of her mother and an eight-year-old sister.