Rundu abattoir operational soon
19 February 2021 | Agriculture
Agriculture minister Calle Schlettwein says final touches are being done on the N$123 million-dollar state-of-the-art Rundu abattoir, which has been under construction since 2014.
Schlettwein made the remark on Wednesday during a meeting with stakeholders in Rundu, adding that work currently outstanding is the sewage system, and that the process was delayed because materials are being procured from South Africa.
He said the materials have been procured and the installation of the sewage system will take place soon.
The minister expressed concern about the recent outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease reported in the north and north eastern regions, saying key decisions and considerations will have to be made as far as operating the abattoir is concerned.
He did not indicate when the project will be completed.
The completion of the abattoir has been long overdue as it was anticipated to be completed by 2017.
In 2019, vice president Nangolo Mbumba cracked the whip, demanding that the project be completed as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, Meatco CEO Mwilima Mushokabanji earlier this month said the company would operate the Rundu abattoir and provide technical support in the operation of the Oshakati and Katima Mulilo abattoirs.
He was quoted saying that the renovation of the Rundu abattoir is nearing completion and the plant is expected to be handed over during the first quarter of this year.
Once operational, the abattoir has the capacity to slaughter about 100 cattle per day as well as a substantive number of small livestock.
Currently, farmers sell their livestock at Meatco's mobile abattoir which is stationed at the Matumbo Ribebe quarantine camp, some 60 kilometres south of Rundu.
The mobile abattoir only has the capacity to slaughter about 90 cattle per month.