Ronaldo, Ranieri scoop FIFA awards

FIFA hosted its football awards ceremony on Monday night, with Leicester City's Claudio Ranieri honoured as the best men's coach.

11 January 2017 | Sports

Cristiano Ronaldo claimed FIFA's inaugural best player of the year award on Monday, the latest prize for the Real Madrid and Portugal star after a glittering 2016 for club and country.

Leicester City's Claudio Ranieri received the best men's coach award following his side's fairytale Premier League triumph.

But the night again belonged to the 31-year-old Ronaldo, who edged out long-time nemesis Lionel Messi for the trophy as well as France's Antoine Griezmann, the top player at this summer's European championship.

Ronaldo had already won the Ballon d'Or after his third Champions League title, thanks largely to his 16 goals in 12 games, as well as triumphing with Portugal at Euro 2016 the country's first major prize.

“2016 was the best year of my career,” Ronaldo said after being handed the prize from FIFA President Gianni Infantino.

Ranieri, 65, who saw off Real boss Zinedine Zidane and Portugal manager Fernando Santos, said the best coach honour was “incredible” after receiving the prize from Argentine football legend Diego Maradona.

Under Ranieri's leadership, Leicester pulled off one of the greatest shocks in English football history by defying title odds of 5 000-1 to lift the Premier League trophy last season. Having miraculously avoided relegation the previous season, the Foxes rode that wave of momentum all the way to the title.

The prizes were based on a combined voting process involving national team coaches and captains, a select group of journalists and fans.

Ronaldo took 34.5 per cent of the vote over 26.4 per cent to Messi, who skipped the awards show co-hosted by US actress and former “Desperate Housewives” star Eva Longoria.

Barcelona said Messi was focused on preparing for an upcoming match against Athletic Bilbao.

US midfielder Carli Lloyd scooped the best women's player of 2016, the two-time Olympic gold medallist adding to her 2015 FIFA Women's World Player of the Year accolade.

The American finished ahead of Brazilian star Marta and Germany's Melanie Behringer.

She described 2016 as “bittersweet”, with the US failing to win a medal for the first time in women's Olympic football.

Spain's La Liga accounted for nine of the 11 players in the FIFPro team of the year with Ronaldo and Messi headlining a star-studded line-up.

Ronaldo was joined by Real team-mates Sergio Ramos, Marcelo, Toni Kroos and Luka Modric while the side comprised four Barcelona players with Gerard Pique, Andres Iniesta and Luis Suarez joining Messi.

Bayern Munich goalkeeper Manuel Neuer named to the FIFPro World 11 for the fourth year running was the only player selected without links to Spain's top two clubs.

Juventus defender Dani Alves was included for a sixth time having helped Barca to a league and cup double before leaving the Camp Nou for Italy last June.

FIFA also gave a fair play prize to the Colombian side Atletico Nacional. The team had asked South America's football governing body to award a regional club title to Chapecoense after most of the Brazilian side perished in a plane crash on the way to the first leg of the final.

World football's governing body launched the new award series after ending its six-year collaboration with France Football magazine for the Ballon d'Or.

The change is one of many implemented under Infantino, who took over FIFA last year pledging to lead it away from the scandals that dominated the end of Sepp Blatter's tenure. Speaking on the so-called “green carpet” outside the Zurich awards venue, Maradona said the prizes helped define a new FIFA identity.

“After everything that was taken away from football, everything that was tainted by corruption, to see new people, new faces, that provides me with hope,” Maradona said.

But the first 11 months of Infantino's administration have had their troubles, including massive and often contentious FIFA staff overhauls and an ethics probe that ultimately cleared Infantino of abusing his office.

Infantino's biggest test to date is set for Tuesday, when FIFA's powerful governing council will decide whether to back his controversial push to expand the World Cup to 48 teams from its current 32-nation format.

NAMPA/AFP

Similar News

 

Namibia out of Cosafa

15 hours ago | Sports

Namibia's under-20 side, the Young Warriors, drew 0-0 against Zimbabwe and are out of the Cosafa Championships. Zimbabwe dominated the first half and had...

No answers in Santos saga

15 hours ago | Sports

Players at Tsumeb outfit Chief Santos are still unpaid despite the Namibian Football Players Union (Nafpu) stepping in to try and salvage the situation.A source...

Namibia out of Cosafa

22 hours ago | Sports

Namibia’s under-20 side, the Young Warriors are out of the under – 20 Cosafa championships after drawing 0-0 with Zimbabwe today.Zimbabwe dominated the first have...

Namibia fight to reach semi-final

1 day - 12 December 2017 | Sports

The Young Warriors opened their Group C encounter with a 1-0 victory over Angola on Friday and lost 2-1 against Lesotho. They will now...

Looser, Robisch retain Desert Dash titles

1 day - 12 December 2017 | Sports

Konny Looser from Switzerland and Rebecca Robisch from Germany retained their Desert Dash titles in the men's and women's 369-kilometre event on Saturday. The...

BA and Young African chase top spot

1 day - 12 December 2017 | Sports

The MTC Namibia Premier League (NPL) was an exciting affair this weekend as teams are still battling it out to top the log before the...

Indongo 'signs with American promoter'

1 day - 12 December 2017 | Sports

Boxing promoter Nestor Tobias says they learned last week from a source that Indongo had signed an agreement with another promoter in the USA. ...

Indongo, Moses dump Sunshine

5 days ago - 08 December 2017 | Sports

Namibia's former triple world champion Julius 'Blue Machine' Indongo and well-known trainer Imms Moses have left the MTC Nestor Sunshine Boxing and Fitness Academy. Moses...

Arsenal trio will not be sold

5 days ago - 08 December 2017 | Sports

Arsenal will not sell striker Olivier Giroud, midfielder Jack Wilshere and winger Theo Walcott in the January transfer window despite their lack of playing time...

Pacquiao launches bid

5 days ago - 08 December 2017 | Sports

Filipino boxer Manny Pacquiao hopes to unearth the next Chinese world champion and help grow the sport with an academy in the largely untapped country.The...

Latest News

Namibia drops among world's good...

15 hours ago | Society

Namibia has slipped four places to 88th on a global index that ranks the countries that contribute to the greater good of humanity.Namibia's global contribution...

MD claims witch-hunt

15 hours ago | Government

The board of the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (Namcor) has terminated the contracts of nine non-permanent staff at the parastatal in an alleged standoff...

Farmers face phosphate shortage

15 hours ago | Agriculture

Namibia will experience a shortage of phosphate products used as supplements for animal feed while the South African producer of phosphate and phosphoric acid is...

N$650 000 for garden project

15 hours ago | Agriculture

NAMPAFarmers and community members from Hukus in the Aminuis area of the Omaheke Region on Thursday received a donation of N$650 000 for the development...

IFRS 16: The new leases...

15 hours ago | Business

STAFF REPORTER - The new leases standard features a single lease accounting model for lessees, with a host of different transition options...

NC convenes urgent session

15 hours ago | Government

The National Council will convene an urgent session next week to review three bills. A statement issued by the secretary to the National Council,...

Mass memorials for crash victims

15 hours ago | Accidents

A number of memorials will be held by relatives of the ten people who died in a head-on collision less than two weeks ago. ...

Policeman, farmworker remain missing

15 hours ago | Crime

There is still no trace of two missing persons in the Otjozondjupa Region - a 55-year-old police officer who went missing at Tsumkwe in June...

Morocco announces car industry deals...

15 hours ago | Business

NAMPA/REUTERSMorocco said on Monday it had signed deals for 26 auto industry projects worth a total of €1.23 billion as it seeks to build its...

Load More