Rainy season off to bad start

The weather bureau says there may be a better chance of rain next month.

29 January 2019 | Weather

Rainfall between October and December last year was less than normal but weather experts are hopeful of better rain prospects in February.

A seasonal rainfall outlook issued this week by the Meteorological Service of Namibia states that the delayed development of El Nino, coupled with other rainfall influencing developments including a weak El Nino, “opens a window of opportunity for improved rainfall performance during the period January to February 2019 than previously anticipated.”

This follows a suppressed start to the season.

Between October and December most reporting stations throughout Namibia reported “suppressed rainfall activities”, the Meteorological Service found, except for pockets of areas within the triangle of Khorixas, Otjiwarongo and Otjimbingwe and areas surrounding Steinhausen in the Omaheke Region where above-normal rainfall was experienced.

The report highlighted however that Khorixas and surrounding areas only received rain during October within one day. No rainfall was recorded in November or December.

“The suppressed rainfall over most parts of the country implies that the rainy season ended with rainfall deficit for the first portion of the rainy season (October to December 2018),” a second report on Namibia's rainfall performance in December stated.

The outlook for January to March says it is likely that Namibia will receive normal to below-normal rainfall.

For the overlapping February to April rainfall period, Namibia is likely to continue receiving “normal to below-normal rainfall except over the southern regions where below-normal to normal rainfall is anticipated.

More specifically, the report notes that for the period February to April, the north-eastern, central and north-western parts of the country pose a 40% probability of normal rainfall in those months, a 35% probability in the below-normal category and a 25% probability in the above-normal category.

Below-normal is defined in meteorological terms as within the driest third of rainfall amounts of the 30-year periods 1971 to 2000 and 1981 to 2010.

The above-normal rainfall category is defined as lying within the wettest third of recorded rainfall amounts in those 30-year spans and normal is the middle third, centred on the climatological median.

In the south, the weather experts have assigned a 40% probability in the category below-normal for the period February to April rainfall season, a 35% probability in the normal category and a 25% probability in the above-normal category.



Rainfall patterns

Rainfall performance statistics released by the Meteorological Service show that in December, rainy weather was mainly concentrated over the north-eastern sector of the country, with Rundu reporting the highest and heaviest rains within 24 hours, and a total of 136.5 mm of rainfall in December, 84% more than the normal average rainfall for that month for Rundu.

Other stations that reported high and heavy rainfall were at Ombona in the Erongo Region and at Ncamagoro in the Kavango East Region, both with 40mm of rainfall on one day.

Several December rainfall measurements showed significantly less than the normal average of rainfall received. Keetmanshoop reported no rainfall in December, compared to a relative average of 10 mm in December, and Khorixas, with zero rainfall measured in December, compared to the average normal of 15 mm.

Grootfontein, which on average receives 65.4mm of rainfall in December, reported 19.1mm, 71% below average. Okaukuejo's rainfall for December measured 7.2 mm, down by 83% from the average normal of 42.5mm in December.

Windhoek's average December rainfall was higher than usual, with 67.1 mm recorded compared to the 30.7 mm average rainfall for that month.

JANA-MARI SMITH

Similar News

 

Omuloka omuwananwa tagu tsikile mOnooli

2 weeks ago - 09 January 2020 | Weather

Omuloka guli nawa ogwa lopotwa uule womasiku gaheyali ga landulathana monooli yaNamibia.Oyendji taya longekidha omapya gawo omanga mboka ya tameke nale yiipyakidhia noondima.Paulina Mufeti,...

Good rainfall continues to shower north

2 weeks ago - 08 January 2020 | Weather

ILENI NANDJATOGood rainfall has been recorded for about seven consecutive days in the northern areas of Namibia. Many are preparing their mahangu fields for the...

Normal rainfall expected

2 weeks ago - 03 January 2020 | Weather

Namibia can expect to receive normal rainfall over the next three months according to the Meteorological Services of Namibia. In the Zambezi Region, above-average rainfall...

Downpours wreak havoc

1 month - 06 December 2019 | Weather

A 30-year-old woman drowned on Wednesday after being washed away with three work colleagues as they crossed a river in Otjiwarongo, while Angolan authorities have...

Oshana receives good rains

1 month - 04 December 2019 | Weather

Many parts of the northern regions received desperately needed rain on Sunday evening and Monday morning, with the Oshana Region getting the lion's share.It was...

Climate-change resilience in spotlight

2 months ago - 04 November 2019 | Weather

The United Nations in Namibia, in collaboration with the Namibian government, organised and hosted a multi-stakeholder dialogue on resilience-building in the context of climate change...

Little hope of rain before December

3 months ago - 24 October 2019 | Weather

Unfavourable climatic conditions have severely dampened chances for rain for the remainder of October and November.“Prospects for rain are not favourable for the next weeks...

Good rains spark flooding fears

3 months ago - 17 October 2019 | Weather

Following good rainfall over the weekend, many oshanas and water catchment areas are full, posing a threat to people settling in these areas in the...

Late summer rains on the cards

3 months ago - 25 September 2019 | Weather

A weather expert has warned that the prospects for rain in the first half of summer look bleak but are expected to improve later in...

Cold snap continues today

6 months ago - 25 July 2019 | Weather

Most Namibians are advised to remain wrapped up warmly today, especially in the southern parts, as the cold front enveloping the country from the southern...

Latest News

Fishrot bribery ring widens

16 hours ago | Crime

While the main accused in the Fishrot bribery scandal await a hearing date in the Supreme Court to challenge their incarceration, another hanger-on, who allegedly...

Learners sent home over broken...

16 hours ago | Education

The over 1 200 learners at Max Makushe Senior Secondary School in the Kavango East Region have been sent home until further notice because of...

Rich man, poor man

16 hours ago | Opinion

For African citizens, the debates and discussions by the elite in Davos seem like a world away.The World Economic Forum (WEF) hosts an annual meeting...

12.5m in SADC face hunger

16 hours ago | Disasters

The number of food insecure people in southern Africa is projected to peak at 12.5 million through March 2020, an increase of 15% compared to...

Parents fume over costly new...

16 hours ago | Education

Parents say the introduction of good-looking school uniforms does not guarantee an improvement in academic performance, behaviour or attendance.Last week, Namibian Sun caught up with...

A beacon of hope

16 hours ago | Education

The Tsintsabis Combined School's feeding programme has received resounding support from stakeholders since its implementation in 2004, acting principal Christalina Narubes said.During an interview at...

'Pay up Samherji'

16 hours ago | Short News

Popular Democratic Movement (PDM) leader McHenry Venaani says Icelandic fishing company Samherji should take responsibility for the thousands of Namibian fishermen who lost their jobs...

Former cop appears for internet...

16 hours ago | Crime

The Walvis Bay Magistrate's Court has denied bail to a 30-year-old former policeman who made his first appearance on charges of internet fraud on Tuesday.Ricardo...

Grand Prix series begins

16 hours ago | Sports

The first Athletics Namibia series event of the year is set to take place this Saturday at the Grootfontein Independence Stadium. The 2020 Grand...

Load More