Port casuals vow to stay

13 February 2017 | Local News

The Namibian Ports Authority (Namport) informed more than 250 casual workers on Wednesday last week that their services would no longer be needed in Walvis Bay.

A manpower analysis exercise performed by the company found the casual labour to be an unnecessary expense.

The workers lodged a complaint against Namport at the Labour Commissioner's office. They also converged and set up camp outside Namport's offices on Thursday after they learned of their fate via a memorandum signed by Namport's human resources executive Dr Felix Musukubili.

On Friday Namport CEO Bisey Uirab said it was inappropriate and unhygienic for the workers to camp in front the company offices.

He explained that casual workers never had formal employment contracts with Namport, but were utilised on an ad hoc basis dependent upon fish volumes.

“We have not embarked on a retrenchment exercise, but simply ceased to render fish repacking services.

“We are directly exposed to all developments which have a bearing on volumes of trade across the world, the bulk of which is conveyed via the sea. The recent slump in commodity and oil prices, the strengthening of the US dollar against the local currency and increasing interest rates have resulted in a steep decline in imports and exports and consequently the volumes of cargo throughput.”

He explained that certain Namport operations given their seasonality and fluctuations in throughput volumes were manned by causal workers who were sourced when needed with most of them notably deployed in repacking fish at the port.

“This operation was handled by the port authority on behalf of owners of the fish over the years. However, as part of the ongoing cost containment drive and following an in depth cost benefit analysis it was considered untenable to continue rendering the fish handling service on behalf of the fishing companies. We therefore resolved to discontinue this service with effect from 1 February and subsequently notified casual workers.”

According to Uirab, Namport has been undertaking various cost streamlining and efficiency enhancement initiatives. Port operations executive Raymond Visagie confirmed a pool of 259 workers are affected by the decision.

“Only casuals involved in the fish repacking operations at Namport in Walvis Bay are affected. Casual deployment is confined to Walvis Bay operations only and on average we used to deploy approximately 48 casual on a day as and when required.

Namport put a temporary moratorium on calling “casual employees” while it carried out a manpower needs assesment to determine whether or not continue utilising “flexible labour” where necessary and if so what the exact numbers required for such operations on 3 February were.

According to some of the affected casuals, they went for interviews on 27 June 2016 and Namport promised them that 100 successful candidates amongst 156 will be recruited within four days. This never materialised.

The casuals said they attended a meeting on 3 February and were once again promised by Musukubili and Visagie that the names of the successful candidates will be released on Wednesday. They were however notified that their services are no longer needed on 8 February.

“Instead of releasing the names of the 100 selected candidates Namport is now giving our work to private companies. We never had adequate notification of the company's intentions and served it for periods between five and ten years. We used to work 12 hours per day. This was reduced to two six-hour shifts,” said some of the casuals.

Uirab said that there was potential and a possibility for appointment but cargo owners and agents engaged on the issue opted not to go this route.

According to the casuals, they worked on a no-work, no-pay basis and without any guarantee.

“Our overtime rate was less than that earned by regular employees.”

They say Visagie approached them on the day the six-hour shifts were implemented and informed them that they are a burden to the company due to the huge amount of overtime they earn.

The casuals say they were surprised to learn that they were supposed to earn N$106 per hour on Sunday according to Visagie.

“Our normal rate was N$53. We earned N$49 on a Saturday and N$66 on Sundays and never received N$106 for work on Sundays and N$79 on Saturdays.”

Uirab refuted this and said the casuals were paid according to the provisions of the Labour Act.

“The rates they received were probably the best. They were treated extremely well,” he concluded.

Similar News

 

Solar eclipse on Sunday

14 hours ago | Local News

Namibians can experience a partial solar eclipse on Sunday afternoon. The partial eclipse will first be seen in Windhoek and then further north.Dr Rhodri Evans...

Angolan traders flood border town

1 day - 23 February 2017 | Local News

ILENI NANDJATO Increasing numbers of Angolan traders selling mahangu and other agricultural produce at Oshikango have forced the Helao Nafidi...

Banker relives bomb blast horror

1 day - 23 February 2017 | Local News

For many Namibians, especially those from the northern parts of the country, February 1988 conjures different memories.For the 25-year-old Emilia Sheetekela, it was the day...

Independence beer for embassy staff

1 day - 23 February 2017 | Local News

Namibia Breweries Limited this week handed over 320 cases of Windhoek Lager to international relations minister Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah.Speaking at the handover, Nambrew managing director Wessie...

Nhoni withdraws from Onandjaba probe

1 day - 23 February 2017 | Local News

The chairperson of a committee investigating alleged illegal land allocation and occupation at Onandjaba settlement in the Okalongo Constituency has withdrawn.Vilho Nhoni, who is also...

Aanangeshefa aaAngola taya tembukile moNamibia

1 day - 23 February 2017 | Local News

Onkalo yoshikukuta ndjoka tayi dhenge Namibia oyeetitha aakwashigwana ya kale nompumbwe yiilandomwa no kuninga omapindikathano naaAngola unene miinima ngaashi iilya, omanga aanangeshefa...

Nhoni iikutha mo momakonaakono gaNandjaba

1 day - 23 February 2017 | Local News

Omunashipundi gwokomitiye ndjoka yi na oshinakugwanithwa shokukonaakona onkalo yeikuthilo lyevi shaaheli pamulandu mOnandjamba mOshikandjohogololo shaKalongo okwa tokola okwiikutha mo momakonaakoo ngoka.Vilho Nhoni, ngoka e...

Winter time set to bite the dust

1 day - 22 February 2017 | Local News

Home Affairs minister Pendukeni Iivula-Ithana today presented the Namibian Time Bill in the National Assembly, which will in all probability see the country only having...

Mugabe holds on

2 days ago - 22 February 2017 | Local News

Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe, the world's oldest national ruler, turned 93 yesterday, defiantly vowing to remain in power despite growing signs of frailty and failing...

Trade facilitation, industrialisation talks for SACU

2 days ago - 22 February 2017 | Local News

Southern African Customs Union (SACU) executive secretary Pauline Elago yesterday paid President Hage Geingob a courtesy visit to brief him on developments pertaining to the...

Latest News

Robber assaults sleeping baby

14 hours ago | Crime

JESSICA BOTES A Swakopmund mother of twin babies is the latest victim of a string of violent burglaries in Swakopmund.At approximately 03:50 on Wednesday, a...

Rosh Pinah Zinc workers want...

14 hours ago | Labour

Workers at the Rosh Pinah Zinc Mine have given management four working days to remove its employee relations specialist, Angeline Barnard-Hagen, or face “unforeseen action”.In...

Land activists say they won't...

14 hours ago | Politics

The Landless People's Movement has indicated its intention to approach the ombudsman to compel the land reform ministry to release its version of the resettlement...

Union wants non-compliant retailers to...

14 hours ago | Labour

The Namibia Wholesale and Retail Workers Union (NWRWU) has demanded that the minister of labour call retailers that exploit workers to order. The union claims...

Hoff guilty of attempted murder...

14 hours ago | Crime

Susanne Hoff (56) was found guilty of the attempted murder of her estranged husband, Egbert Hoff, by the Windhoek Regional Court yesterday.Hoff, who pleaded not...

Ondonga backs Nangolo to succeed...

14 hours ago | Cultural

The Ondonga Traditional Authority on Tuesday affirmed that Fillemon Shuumbwa Nangolo is the Ondonga king-in-waiting.The OTA said in a statement that King Immanuel Kauluma Elifas...

Dineo storms onto bucket list

14 hours ago | Disasters

When you plan a sunny Mozambican holiday in February, the last thing you expect is to be caught up in a cyclone. (Well, maybe we...

The 2017 Budget should demonstrate...

14 hours ago | Opinion

BY MALLY LIKUKELA As preparations for the 2017 National Budget gather momentum and a greater participation by various stakeholders becomes evident. The budget is...

I am a foolishly wise...

14 hours ago | Opinion

I have always been fascinated by the manner in which the Police in United States of America, in cities like New York, Los Angeles or...

Load More