Otweya: Housing news met with mixed emotions

To speed up the provision of housing to people left homeless by a shack fire in Walvis Bay, the beneficiaries will have to help with the construction.

25 January 2021 | Infrastructure

OTIS FINCK

WALVIS BAY



Erongo governor Neville Andre last week informed the Otweya community that the construction of 121 houses for residents of Twalaloka informal settlement, whose shacks were destroyed in a fire last year, will start this week and be finished by the end of March.

He explained that a committee in the office of the prime minister is driving the Otweya project and said that due to limited resources available, no tender process will be initiated.



Proven track record

“We will employ a model which will see the beneficiaries playing an active part in the construction process as labourers. They will dig trenches and do the actual construction process.”

This model is browed from the Shack Dwellers Federation of Namibia. Andre said the 121 houses would be built in the quickest possible time.

“The SDFN has a proven track record and has already built 70 houses in three weeks in the Kunene Region. The process used by the SDFN is faster, cheaper and houses are constructed according to municipal standards. We want houses to be completed within the next two months.”

Experienced members of the SDFN will assist recipients with the construction, with six members to be assigned to assist each family with the construction of their home.



Way forward

The governor also instructed Otweya residents to take the certificates that were issued for erven last year to the municipality so that the registration for water meter connections can be done. “Take the certificate to the customer care centre so that the number on it can be taken. A fee of N$4 000 will be required for this process and the municipality has agreed that this amount can be paid over 12 months or once off. The next two weeks will be used for the registering of water meters. The construction process will then commence and will be executed in phases.”

The governor emphasised that the recipients of houses will be responsible for the payment of rates and taxes after the construction is completed.

The houses to be built will be the same as those constructed by the SDFN.

They will be open-plan houses with toilets and showers on 300-square-metre plots. They will get one layer of paint and recipients will have to fence their plots themselves.

The houses will be equipped with low-voltage electricity supply to power lights, cooking appliances and a television. It will be suitable for small households and not for extended families.



No shacks

The governor further encouraged residents not to build any shacks on their plots.

“This will result in an additional burden to the electricity supply and compromise the available power supply,” he said and called on residents to cooperated to ensure that all houses are completed by the end of March.

“I am urging unity and cooperation. Let us work together to ensure the beneficiaries have a decent place to stay. The tents will be removed by the municipality as houses are completed and people move in.”

Similar News

 

Water supply and sanitation improves

12 hours ago | Infrastructure

ELLANIE SMITWINDHOEKThe supply of water and sanitation facilities in rural areas has improved significantly over the past three decades, according to official statistics.Since independence, a...

Otweya housing project kicks off

2 weeks ago - 17 February 2021 | Infrastructure

LEANDREA LOUWWALVIS BAYThe ground-breaking ceremony and construction commencement of 121 houses at the Otweya informal settlement took place in Walvis Bay on Monday morning.The minister...

N$90m to rehabilitate Omahenene-Olushandja canal

2 weeks ago - 16 February 2021 | Infrastructure

TUYEIMO HAIDULAOMAHENENENamWater on Saturday started a six-month rehabilitation of the Omahenene-Olushandja canal.The entire canal needs to be cleaned to improve water supply to the main...

No crack in Neckartal wall

1 month - 22 January 2021 | Infrastructure

ELLANIE SMITWINDHOEKThe agriculture ministry says all possible risks, including flooding, were assessed before the Neckartal Dam was built and claims of a crack in the...

Calle ecstatic as Neckartal passes 40% mark

1 month - 08 January 2021 | Infrastructure

ELLANIE SMITWINDHOEKAgriculture minister Calle Schlettwein has expressed delight that the amount of water currently in the Neckartal Dam after the recent heavy rains is about...

New development planned south of Windhoek

3 months ago - 18 November 2020 | Infrastructure

YOLANDA NEL WINDHOEK A public meeting is scheduled for Thursday this week to discuss a new proposed development at Farm Gross Haigamas.Developers Birdsong Properties are...

Road junction open to traffic

3 months ago - 03 November 2020 | Infrastructure

ERWIN LEUSCHNERSWAKOPMUND The junction at the eastern entrance to Swakopmund and 33 km of tarred road between Swakopmund and Walvis Bay – including two new...

20 low-cost houses for fire victims

4 months ago - 08 October 2020 | Infrastructure

LEANDREA LOUWWALVIS BAYTwo months after a fire swept through the Otweya informal settlement in Walvis Bay, destroying homes, leaving hundreds homeless and killing a two-year-old...

Health facilities handed over at southern border

5 months ago - 25 September 2020 | Infrastructure

Ariamsvlei • Elizabeth Joseph The Anglo American Namibia Foundation (AANF) in partnership with the DeBeers Group officially handed over and inaugurated brand new port health...

Govt launches housing census

6 months ago - 01 September 2020 | Infrastructure

JEMIMA BEUKESWINDHOEK The ministry of urban and rural development and the Namibia Statistics Agency (NSA) have embarked on a housing survey that will contribute...

Latest News

Letshego Nam takes N$60-mln profit...

2 hours ago | Business

Jo-Maré Duddy – Locally-listed Letshego Holdings Namibia reported a profit of about N$341.4 million for the year ended 31 December 2020, a drop of nearly...

Otjikoto sitting on a gold...

12 hours ago | Business

Jo-Maré Duddy – B2Gold’s Otjikoto mine is expected to reach record-level production this year and through to 2024, the Canada-based low-cost international senior gold producer...

Mining survey: Chamber hits back

12 hours ago | Business

PHILLEPUS UUSIKU Too few responses have skewed Namibia's performance on the 2020 Fraser Institute Survey of Mining Companies, tarnishing its image as an attractive investment...

‘Not up to you’

12 hours ago | Education

TUYEIMO HAIDULA ONGWEDIVA Higher education minister Itah Kandjii-Murangi says institutions of higher learning...

Sioka in hot water over...

12 hours ago | Ministries

JANA-MARI SMITH WINDHOEKThe clock is ticking for child welfare minister Doreen Sioka who has less than a month to present a...

Corruption - A social disease...

12 hours ago | Columns

Johan CoetzeeGiven ongoing media articles about governance, manifested in contraction of investment and increasing unemployment, it is appropriate to reflect on several trends covering several...

EDITORIAL

12 hours ago | Opinion

The phony attempts by mainly men in the National Unity Democratic Organisation (Nudo) to undermine its president Esther Muinjangue will only further dissuade women from...

Drought policy in review to...

12 hours ago | Agriculture

ELLANIE SMIT WINDHOEKThe agriculture ministry is in the process of reviewing the country’s drought...

Nam mining licence loophole closed

12 hours ago | Business

From the beginning of April this year, Namibians who hold mineral licences will no longer be allowed to transfer it to foreign companies or persons...

Load More