Ongwediva residents cautioned against burning refuse
28 May 2020 | Local News
After 13 incidents of fires this month, the Ongwediva town council has cautioned residents to refrain from burning refuse.
Council spokesperson Jackson Muma said although no injuries have been reported, property had been damaged due to the fires.
Muma said the refuse should be removed by responsible waste removers. “In Ongwediva, we have contractors responsible for refuse removal, including garden and domestic waste. These fires have caused damage to structures in their surroundings, which made them dangerous,” said Muma.
“We must refrain from burning waste,” he said, adding that if residents have a problem with waste, they should report it to the town council to be picked up.
He also urged residents to clean their surroundings to ensure that, in case of a fire, their houses, property and lives are safe.