Okahandja's water woes continue
13 July 2020 | Local News
Okahandja municipality CEO Martha Mutilifa last week admitted that the town is experiencing water woes once again.
This is after Okahandja recently set up three quarantine facilities for those who may have been exposed to the deadly coronavirus.
When contacted for comment, Mutilifa said “parts of the whole town” went without water for several days last week.
She blamed the situation on pipes at the town that keep bursting.
Concerned and committed
According to her, two locations were affected on Saturday, while another two locations also had to go without water on Sunday, and one on Monday last week.
On Tuesday, another area was affected.
The CEO said water to all the areas had since been restored, adding that they are “very concerned and committed to fighting the coronavirus”.
On Wednesday evening, she reported that the water situation was “under control”.
Meanwhile, residents have expressed concern over the water woes, and the health risks they pose.
Without a drop
Tensions ran high during a visit to the garden town in March, after large parts of Okahandja had been without water for a week at that time.
Even schools and old-age homes had to survive without a drop of water.
Residents believe infighting at the town council, especially within Swapo, is hindering development.
Pesella Nunda, who acted in Mutilifa's position when she was suspended, had his hands full.
The acting CEO admitted that he was concerned about the town's future.
“Here are a number of areas that are without water. We have very high pressure in the pipes, which causes them to burst,” he said.
He also admitted that the situation poses health risks. “There are concerns about hygiene.”
At the time, he said they had been struggling to repair the pipes because they couldn't source the materials at the town.