Normal rainfall expected
03 January 2020 | Weather
“During the January, February and March period, most parts of the country can expect a 25% probability in the above-normal category, a 40% probability in the normal category and 35% probability in the below-normal rainfall category, while within the Zambezi region, there is a 35% probability in the above-normal rainfall category, a 40% probability in the normal category and 25% probability in the category of below- normal rainfall,” the report noted.
Namibia last year experienced its worst drought since 1930.
The Speaker of the National Assembly, Peter Katjavivi, said in October last year that the Namibian economy had been severely affected by an economic downturn for more than two years.
Katjavivi added that there was a need to find ways to deal with natural calamities as more than 60% of the population depended directly or indirectly on agriculture, forestry and freshwater fishery.
Good rainfall is also expected in the other Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries.
“During this same period, normal to above-normal rainfall is expected for most parts of the Southern African region. However, the eastern half of Tanzania, eastern half of Botswana, the western-most parts of Namibia, the bulk of South Africa, the bulk of Mozambique, southern Malawi, eastern Lesotho, central Zambia, the southernmost tips of Madagascar, south-western Angola, eSwatini and Zimbabwe are more likely to receive normal to below-normal rainfall amounts,” the report added.