More appeal against farm allocations

The fall-out over the allocation of the Osema and Gusende game farms is snowballing.

18 May 2017 | Government

President Hage Geingob has reportedly “begged” Chief Vipuira Kapuuo and the Ovitoto community not to stage their planned march to State House to register their objection to the allocation of the Osema and Gusende resettlement farms to Ovitoto Game and Hunting Safaris (Pty) Ltd.

The group had intended to march to State House last week Tuesday but were asked to refrain from this action. They were again asked not to demonstrate but to rather wait for a meeting with Prime Minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila, who is reportedly standing in for Geingob who is currently in Equatorial Guinea for an African Union (AU) United Nations reform meeting.

A member of Kapuuo's group, Rirua Komeheke, this week said they agreed to meet with Kuugongelwa-Amadhila after they had a discussion at the Commando Hall in Katutura the evening before.

“If, for any reason, the decision to allocate the farms to Ovitoto Game and Hunting Safaris is rescinded, it would mean that the Ministry of Land Reform is not in safe hands,” commented Komeheke.

He called the allocation of the farms to Ovitoto Game and Hunting Safaris a “provocation”, accusing Minister Utoni Nujoma of “not taking care of the natural expectations of the people”.



More appeal allocations

Another company that applied for the Osema and Gusende resettlement farms, Chobezi Game Farming and Safaris, has also urgently appealed to President Geingob, as well as Ombudsman John Walters, to intervene in the allocation to Ovitoto Game and Hunting Safaris.

It has written letters of appeal to minister of land reform Utoni Nujoma and has submitted its appeal to the chairperson of the tribunal, legal practitioner Elize Angula.

The permanent secretary in the lands ministry, Peter Amutenya, in an advertorial said the allocation to Ovitoto Game and Hunting Safaris was made after 31 applications had been considered.

Amutenya said 17 of these applications fell out because they did not have business plans and two were disqualified on technical grounds.

Chobezi said it has submitted a 125-page “well-informed technical proposal”, which included five-year income and expenditure projections.

It said this included detailed information about its ten directors and its operational labour force, who all had extensive experience in lodge administration, eco-tourism promotion and marketing, game farming and conservation.

In fact, one of its directors is Orlando Haraseb, a professional safari guide, is the winner of the silver award for the 2016 International Wanderlust Guide of the Year.

He is also a former Brave Warriors player. The other directors are Magretha Links (chairperson), Estha Garoës, Andrew Admukue, Paul Thomas, Lentina Baardt, Vanessa Nowotes, Anna Swartbooi, George Eiseb and Ricardo Eiseb.

Chobezi's directors wrote to Geingob and Walters that they had been intentionally and “unfairly deprived of the opportunity to apply their acquired technical skills” by not having been allocated the resettlement game farms Osema and Gusende near Okahandja, and that they had been “hugely discriminated” against as a result. They asked for a re-examination of the evaluation process through which the N$40 million farms were allocated to Ovitoto Game and Hunting Safaris.

Chobezi further stated that the newspaper advertisement calling for expressions of interest in the resettlement farms only indicated that the farmland should be used for farming while no mention was made of submissions with detailed technical business proposals and financial projections.

It said the lands ministry did not even have functional and approved resettlement criteria before the closing date of the applications (on 16 October 2016) on how to regulate game farms allotted to successful bidders.

Therefore, Chobezi wanted to know what evaluation criteria were used by the technical committee of the Land Reform Advisory Committee in the absence of the said resettlement criteria.

The Chobezi directors further claimed that Nujoma had only endorsed the resettlement criteria on 7 November 2016.

In fact, the secretary of the evaluation committee for game farms in the lands ministry, Peter Ndeilenga, had admitted in an email to the Chobezi directors that that the resettlement criteria “were approved after the closing of the advertisement” and were “not applicable” to the applicants. Chobezi also wanted to know what the scoring by the committee was and whether Nujoma has discretionary powers to select resettlement beneficiaries.



Plagiarism claimed

The consultant who assisted with the preparation of Chobezi's application for the games farms, Tartisius Gaoseb, claimed that the lands ministry had plagiarised a description of a game farm from Chobezi's application. The lands ministry issued resettlement criteria for game farming on 19 September 2016 and its description of game farms was practically identical to the description Chobezi had included in its application.



AG cannot interfere

Attorney-general Sacky Shanghala wrote to the Chobezi directors on 8 May that their request for Geingob's intervention in this matter was “premature and unprocedural”.

Shanghala said he was not in a position to advise the directors any further because he was not mandated to do so.

CATHERINE SASMAN

Similar News

 

PM warns employees of shorter leash

12 hours ago | Government

Prime Minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila this week warned staff members of her office that she would not accept complacency and that she would shorten the leash...

Geingob in London for Commonwealth business

1 day - 18 April 2018 | Government

President Hage Geingob yesterday departed for London to attend the Commonwealth Business Forum and Commonwealth of Heads of Government meeting starting tomorrow. The presidency also...

Geingob departs for London

2 days ago - 17 April 2018 | Government

President Hage Geingob is departing for London this morning to attend the Commonwealth Business Forum and Commonwealth of Heads of Government meeting on Thursday. The...

Nghiwete suspended pending probe

2 days ago - 17 April 2018 | Government

The CEO and head of the secretariat of the Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund (NSFAF), Hilya Nghiwete, has been suspended with immediate effect by the...

Home Affairs to close three more offices

2 days ago - 17 April 2018 | Government

The Ministry of Home Affairs is to close three little-used local offices, minister Frans Kapofi said while motivating the ministry's budget vote in the National...

No public funds for Geingob's Areva lawsuit

3 days ago - 16 April 2018 | Government

President Hage Geingob is threatening legal action over corruption allegations involving Areva in his private capacity and no state funds will be used. His...

President's budget cut by N$200m

6 days ago - 13 April 2018 | Government

Despite a 32% reduction in its budget, newly appointed presidential affairs minister Martin Andjaba is confident that the office of the president will be able...

Mutorwa wants assets list

1 week ago - 12 April 2018 | Government

Newly appointed minister of works and transport John Mutorwa has said that he would like to be provided with a complete list of assets owned...

Rumours of a rip-off while plots lie idle

1 week ago - 10 April 2018 | Government

While many local authorities across the country are finding it difficult to provide serviced land for people to construct houses, the Oshakati town council has...

State House rocked by Areva arrests

1 week ago - 10 April 2018 | Government

President Hage Geingob's involvement at UraMin as a consultant, which earned him US$300 000 (N$2.475 million at the exchange rate at the time, said to...

Latest News

Acute teacher shortage

12 hours ago | Economics

The education ministry has appealed for leniency and recognition that despite the directive to reduce state wage bills the ministry is in dire need of...

Africa briefs

12 hours ago | Economics

SA's auditor general cancels all contracts with KPMGSouth Africa’s Auditor General said on Tuesday he is terminating all contracts with auditing firm KPMG over a...

NovaNam, Lalandii start new hake...

12 hours ago | Business

Staff reporter - Last week, Lüderitz-based hake fishing companies, NovaNam and Lalandii, commenced with the cutting of the steel to build the...

Ondonga heir apparent hits back...

12 hours ago | Cultural

One of the claimants to the Ondonga throne, Fillemon Shuumbwa Nangolo, has taken issue with urban and rural development minister Peya Mushelenga following his recent...

PM warns employees of shorter...

12 hours ago | Government

Prime Minister Saara Kuugongelwa-Amadhila this week warned staff members of her office that she would not accept complacency and that she would shorten the leash...

40 years after battle of...

12 hours ago | History

The Angolan president, João Lourenço will attend the Cassinga Day commemoration on 4 May as guest of honour and will lay a wreath at Heroes'...

New conservancy land disputed

12 hours ago | Environment

A Kavango West man has accused the Uukwangali Traditional Authority of stealing his land, which he claimed was now allocated to a newly proclaimed conservancy....

Liquidators' powers reined in

12 hours ago | Justice

The extra powers granted to the two liquidators, Dave Bruni and Ian McLaren, by the High Court on 2 February, under whose management the liquidated...

Half a billion worth of...

12 hours ago | Banking

Staff reporter – Total business registered in FNB Namibia’s annual competition for estate agents amounted to about N$550 million, the group said in a statement....

Load More