Land grabbers defiant
Land grabbers refuse to vacate an area earmarked for 4 000 residential and business plots at Otjiwarongo.
16 January 2020 | Local News
The municipality last week issued eviction orders to all 40 squatters to remove their structures before 8 January.
Otjiwarongo acting CEO Marlay Mbakera told Nampa that the land was earmarked for over 4 000 residential and business plots.
She said a property developer had been appointed to service the area from January until June 2020.
The developer is also tasked with installing water pipelines, creating streets and erecting streetlights.
Once that is done, the municipality will allocate plots to applicants on its waiting list.
Some of the land grabbers on Tuesday told Nampa that they would not move unless they were shown another place where they can settle.
Tomas Nicanor (35) said he built his shack on the plot where he now lives with his five children.
“I will not move out without being shown a new plot where I can take my children,” he said.
Helena Sondaha (23) said she lost her job at a farm last year and has no relatives to stay with at Otjiwarongo, as she is from the Kavango East Region and cannot afford to pay rent.
Otjiwarongo municipality spokesperson Adelheid Shilongo on Tuesday said the eviction orders remained in force.
Municipal officials and town councillors were to meet with the squatters last night to discuss the way forward, she said.