Kora dirty laundry to be aired in September

23 June 2020 | Justice

ELLANIE SMIT

WINDHOEK



The Kora All-Africa Music Awards scandal, in which N$23 million was paid from government coffers for an event that never took place, will play out in the Windhoek High Court in September.

The court case, which has been dragging on since 2016, has been set down on the court roll for 21 to 25 September.

It had been removed from the roll during the coronavirus stage one lockdown.

The Namibia Tourism Board (NTB) sued Mundial Telecom Sarl and Kora awards founder Ernest Adjovi in September 2016 for N$23.5 million (plus 20% interest), which had been paid for the purchase of a tourism promotion package it never received.

Mundial Telecom Sarl owns the rights to host the Kora Awards, while Adjovi was the president of the company.



History

The matter stems from a written agreement between NTB and Mundial Telecom Sarl for a tourism promotion package to be televised during the 2016 Kora awards ceremony.

The show was initially scheduled for 13 December 2015, but was postponed to 20 March 2016.

As per the contract signed on 4 December 2015, the NTB had to pay N$23.5 million on or before 10 December 2015. However, the first payment of N$5 million was only made on 22 December 2015 and the second (N$5 million) on 23 December 2015.

On 7 January 2016, another N$5 million was transferred and on 17 February 2016, N$8.5 million was paid into the bank account of Mundial Telecom Sarl in Abidjan, Ivory Coast.

The last payment was made about a month before the ceremony was to take place. Promotional video clips featuring Namibia were supposed to be broadcast by all participating African television stations by at least 20 January 2016.

If the ceremony did not take place in Namibia, the NTB was to be refunded the amount paid, less reasonable expenses incurred, within 60 days.



Contract breach

Adjovi said in his affidavit that the cancellation was the direct result of the late payments by the NTB and the Namibian government.

Although Adjovi admitted that the NTB's N$23.5 million was not refunded, he claims his company was not obliged to do so as it had incurred reasonable expenses (damages) in excess of the amount the NTB had paid.

Similar News

 

Fishrot's De Klerk washes dirty laundry

1 week ago - 07 August 2020 | Justice

RONELLE RADEMEYER WINDHOEK Marén de Klerk, the lawyer who left Namibia amid allegations that millions of dollars from the Fishrot bribery scandal had passed...

Boy accused of murder granted bail

1 week ago - 07 August 2020 | Justice

NAMPAGOBABISA 14-year-old boy who allegedly stabbed an 18-year-old to death at the Kanaan A informal settlement in Gobabis this past Saturday has been granted bail...

Fishrot accused Ricardo Gustavo's bail appeal denied

2 weeks ago - 30 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKFishrot accused Ricardo Gustavo has been denied bail yet again after his appeal to the High Court was rejected.In his second bail bid, Gustavo...

'I will finish what I started'

3 weeks ago - 24 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEK Johannes Stefansson, the Icelandic national who lifted the veil on the corruption in Namibia's fishing industry, has told Namibian Sun he will...

Fishrot a daylight robbery, says court

3 weeks ago - 23 July 2020 | Justice

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEKWindhoek magistrate Duard Kesslau yesterday described evidence presented before him during the bail hearing of Fishrot accused Bernhardt Esau and his son-in-law Tamson...

Esau and Fitty: ACC has nothing on us

3 weeks ago - 22 July 2020 | Justice

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEK It is not in the interest of justice to keep former fisheries minister Bernhardt Esau or his son-in-law...

'Taxa' wants fresh magistrate

3 weeks ago - 21 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGE WINDHOEKFishrot accused Pius Mwatelulo has launched a bail application in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court, and has asked that magistrates who presided in other...

Gustavo adds properties to new bail offer

3 weeks ago - 20 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKFormer Investec Namibia business manager Ricardo Gustavo has offered two of his properties to his N$100 000 bail offer in a fresh bid heard...

Ruling on Namandje's books postponed to August

4 weeks ago - 16 July 2020 | Justice

STAFF REPORTERWINDHOEKJudgment in the court case between lawyer Sisa Namandje and the Law Society of Namibia (LSN), which was due to be delivered tomorrow, has...

Ruling on Namandje’s financial books postponed to August

4 weeks ago - 15 July 2020 | Justice

Staff ReporterWindhoekJudgement in the court matter between lawyer Sisa Namandje and the Law Society of Namibia, which was due to be delivered on Friday, has...

Latest News

Thought leadership

19 hours ago | People

NDANGI KATOMAIn a very short time, the coronavirus has changed so much about our lives.It is easy to think you’ll never get ahead when you...

Marketing through the lens of...

19 hours ago | People

ESTER KAMATIAs part of the DOLOLO group of entrepreneurs and a 2019 alumnus of the Africa Pathfinders Leadership initiative, Andreas Elifas’s objective is to attain...

Price monster hungry

19 hours ago | Economics

Although annual overall inflation in Namibia last month stayed unchanged at 2.1%, annual overall food inflation increased to 6.2% - up from 4.9% in June...

Tough times for mines in...

19 hours ago | Business

Jo-Maré Duddy – Of the 16 operating mining companies included in the latest annual review of the Chamber of Mines of Namibia, six last year...

Fishing quota auction storm grows

19 hours ago | Fishing

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKGovernment's decision to auction off its fishing quota, and then use the proceeds to finance its efforts to fight the Covid-19 pandemic is continuing...

Samherji begs for release of...

19 hours ago | Fishing

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKIcelandic firm Samherji, which is at the centre of the Fishrot bribery scandal, has asked Namibian authorities to release its fishing vessel Heinaste, which...

Education kneecapped by shortage of...

19 hours ago | Education

KENYA KAMBOWERUNDUEducation minister Anna Nghipondoka says Namibia has a backlog of over 5 000 classrooms, which has made it a challenge to comply with the...

Growing hip-hop in the north

19 hours ago | Art and Entertainment

MICHAEL KAYUNDE WINDHOEKSkipper Wills' breakthrough came in 2017 when he was selected to take part in the Old & New hip-hop documentary. He has since...

Kay-Z Bearens on his 2020...

19 hours ago | Art and Entertainment

MICHAEL KAYUNDE WINDHOEK Rapper Kay-Z Bearens released his first single in 2015, and though on the underground scene, he's pushed his music over the years.In...

Load More