Kalahari halted… for now

26 June 2019 | Police

The Peoples Litigation Centre (PLC) is set to approach the Windhoek High Court next week if their demand that soldiers be withdrawn from Operation Kalahari Desert is not met by 1 July.

The police yesterday confirmed that while phase one of Operation Kalahari Desert ends this Sunday, operations will resume again in August with all stakeholders on board, including the Namibian Defence Force (NDF) members.

The temporary halt to the wide-scale crime-prevention operation is due to supplementary voter registration that will take place countrywide next month.

In a statement issued yesterday by the social justice litigation arm of the Affirmative Repositioning (AR) movement, PLC chairperson Mathias Haufiku said “our lawyers received a letter from the government attorney committing that soldiers, as part of this operation, will be removed from the streets this Sunday, 30 June 2019.”

Haufiku said in line with this, the PLC notified their lawyers “to place the commander-in-chief on terms that should the soldiers not be removed from the streets by Sunday, an urgent application will be launched before the High Court on 1 July”.

The police, however, confirmed that although phase one of Operation Kalahari Desert is slated to end this Sunday, it's only a temporary scale-down before the second phase begins in August.

Police chief Sebastian Ndeitunga told Namibian Sun that in July the police will focus on the supplementary voter registration process, and underlined that while this does not mean crime-prevention operations will cease entirely, they won't be on the scale of Operation Kalahari Desert.

He confirmed that by August, Operation Kalahari Desert will “be in full swing again”, and include all stakeholders including soldiers.





The PLC yesterday made public a letter from the government attorney's office, dated 20 June, which was written in response to the demand by the PLC to withdraw soldiers from Operation Kalahari Desert by 21 June.

The government attorney stated this demand would not be met.

The letter states “as to your demand for the commander-in-chief to withdraw the Namibian Defence Force from the Kalahari Desert, it is our instruction that we will not heed such demand (sic).”

Nevertheless, the letter informed the PLC that the operation “in question will continue until the 30th of June 2019 as envisaged under the enabling Act”.

The government attorney letter further informed the PLC it is their “constitutional right to approach the courts where they feel aggrieved by the participation of the Namibian Defence Force in Operation Kalahari, which we reiterate that such is lawful within the Namibian Constitution”.



Tragedy

The demand to withdraw soldiers from Operation Kalahari Desert by the PLC and several other organisations and citizens, followed the fatal shooting of Zimbabwean taxi driver Talent Fambauone Black (22) on 13 May, after Black reportedly tried to evade a roadblock in Greenwell Matongo.

The soldier accused of the killing, Gerson Nakale, 38, was refused bail and remains behind bars after he was charged with murder.

Ndeitunga last week underlined that Operation Kalahari Desert “will continue countrywide, until its objectives are met” and that soldiers will remain on-board.

Ndeitunga also said after Black's shooting that “one life lost at the hands of our supposed law-enforcement is just too much” and directed all members involved in police-led operations to adhere to rules and regulations and obey the instructions of their commanders.

Ndeitunga also emphasised the successes achieved so far and noted that in March this year, when the police temporarily suspended its special crime-prevention operations, “an upward trend was recorded of 8 787 cases”.

At the resumption of Operation Hornkranz in April 2019, which was the forerunner of Operation Kalahari Desert, crime dropped by more than 8 100 cases, he said.

JANA-MARI SMITH

Similar News

 

Ndeitunga takes aim at WhatsApp insulters, politicised cops

4 days ago - 17 February 2020 | Police And Crime

Nampol Inspector-General Sebastian Ndeitunga has warned “young ones” insulting national leaders and police officers who are aligning with political candidates, saying they will be dealt...

Radical youth a threat – Ndeitunga

1 week ago - 12 February 2020 | Police

Proponents of regime change who want to resort to other means to effect government change are a threat to democracy in Namibia, police Inspector-General Sebastian...

Victim urged to lay charges

1 month - 13 January 2020 | Police

The Namibian police have urged a 33-year-old man who was assaulted by members of Operation Kalahari Desert to open a criminal case. The incident came...

Cop training doubled to 12 months

3 months ago - 28 October 2019 | Police

Hundreds of police recruits who started their basic training at the Ruben Danger Ashipala police training centre at Ondangwa in September will now undergo 12...

Kutheni mo aakwiita momapandanda manga - Ombudsman

4 months ago - 24 September 2019 | Police

Sha landula edhipago lyomukwashigwana omutiyali kaakwiita, ombudsman John Walters okwa pula ekuthomo pakathimbo lyaakwiita okuza mopatolola tayi ithanwa Operation Kalahari Desert, opo ya vule...

Ahowe otashi ti ahowe

5 months ago - 16 September 2019 | Police And Crime

Sebastian Ndeitunga okwa popi kutya ahowe osha hala okutya ahowe na kape na we efatululo limwe li lipo.Ndeitunga okwa popi ngaaka pethimbo kwa patululwa pambelewa...

Cops probe deaths

5 months ago - 04 September 2019 | Police

The Namibian police are investigating the deaths of 18 people who died in less than a week.Of these, 15 people died in road accidents, two...

Oshiwike oshiwinayi

5 months ago - 04 September 2019 | Police And Crime

Opolisi yaNamibia otayi konaakona iipotha yi na sha neso lyaantu 18 mboka ya hulitha muule woshiwike shimwe, mwakwatelwa aantu 15 mboka ya hulithile miiponga yiihauto,...

Anti-crime operation starts at Rundu

6 months ago - 20 August 2019 | Police

The acting police commander for Kavango East, Commissioner Vilho Kalwenya, has issued a stern warning to community members who are in cahoots with criminals, saying...

'Operation Kalahari Desert' ya tulwa miilonga moRundu

6 months ago - 20 August 2019 | Police

Ngoka ta longo pehala lyaKomanda gwOpolisi moshitopolwa shaKavango East, Komufala Vilho Kalwenya okwa popi kutya kape na ehala lyiimbuluma moshitopolwa shoka na okwa gandja ekunkililo...

Latest News

Driving the world through knowledge...

13 hours ago | People

Ester Kamati Through dedication to his studies, Albin Jacobs matriculated and went on to secure a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Namibia....

Growth is back, says Calle

13 hours ago | Economics

Augetto Graig Despite the legislative framework for public private partnerships (PPP) being in place, not a single such project is on the finance ministry books.“Why...

A rock-hard year for Namdeb

13 hours ago | Business

Jo-Maré Duddy – Namdeb Holdings’ profitability tumbled by nearly a third last year with the local mining giant reporting an underlying EBITDA of US$121 million...

Fiercely determined

13 hours ago | People

Mariselle StofbergThe most important lesson that life has taught Maria Haufiku is that it does not owe you anything. “You must constantly strive for greatness...

No reprieve for Fishrot 6

13 hours ago | Justice

The so-called Fishrot Six yesterday returned to the Windhoek Magistrate's Court, which ordered that they be remanded in custody until 23 April to allow for...

Learners in dire straits

13 hours ago | Education

At Sinzogoro Combined School in the Kavango West Region, 130 learners are taught in tents where they sit on the ground to take notes. ...

More people at Fishcor must...

13 hours ago | Opinion

While a lot of light has been shone on the so-called Fishrot Six since the fishing quota bribery scandal unfolded late last year, the same...

Making it happen

13 hours ago | People

· Mariselle StofbergWindsor Markus believes that you have the power within you to take charge of your life and...

Covid-19: SA at ‘high risk’...

13 hours ago | Economics

South Africa, Egypt and Algeria are at high risk of suffering from the deadly coronavirus, a study released Wednesday suggested.The Lancet medical journal reported that...

Load More