Hit-and-run accused gets bail
15 February 2021 | Justice
A woman implicated in a hit-and-run accident on the B2 highway between Walvis Bay and Swakopmund has been granted bail of N$10 000.
Charlet de Bruyn (34) was granted bail on Wednesday, a week after making her first appearance in the Walvis Bay Magistrate's Court.
According to Deputy Commissioner Erastus Iikuyu, who is the regional crime investigations coordinator, De Bruyn was charged with culpable homicide, fleeing from an accident scene, and failure to ascertain the injuries of the person she had hit.
“De Bruyn was travelling in a Ford Ranger double-cab pickup vehicle from Walvis Bay towards Langstrand, around 20h50 on 2 February.
“She allegedly bumped an unidentified middle-aged man, who is suspected to have been crossing the road. Unfortunately, he died at the scene.”
Iikuyu said De Bruyn drove away from the scene and was later arrested at her home in Langstrand.
The man was identified by his mother as Willdrew Visagie (30) from Narraville, Walvis Bay, on 5 February.
De Bruyn made her second court appearance before Magistrate Vicky Nicolaidis and was represented by Ray Rukoro.
During the hearing, state prosecutor Tuihaleni Hilikeuete said the investigation had not been finalised and bail may be granted with conditions. These include that she hands in her passport to the investigating officer and is not allowed to apply for a new one while the case against her is pending.
De Bruyn also needs to report to the Yanni Savva police station every Friday.
Previously, De Bruyn was represented by Llana Fouche.
The case was postponed to 25 March for further investigation.