G4S sued for N$1m by security guard

17 June 2020 | Justice

JANA-MARI SMITH

WINDHOEK



A security guard is suing G4s Security Services and a senior manager there for N$1 million for an alleged death threat made during an altercation in November last year.

On Monday, Johannes Nangha's lawyer Norman Tjombe filed the lawsuit against G4S senior supervisor Willem du Plessis, whose verbal outburst was captured on a 44-second video clip.

The partial recording shows Nangha standing with his arms folded, while a person, off-camera, identified in the court documents as Du Plessis, shouts at him in Afrikaans.

At one point, Nangha tells Du Plessis that he cannot threaten him in that way.

The off-camera voice furiously replies in Afrikaans: “I should not threaten you? I will send you in jou f*kken moer.”

Nangha then says, “We are free now,” to which the off-camera voice shouts back, “F*ck you, you're free se f*kken p*es.”

The shouter then proceeds to shout several variations of “you are stupid, you are a stupid c*nt, you are a dumb p*es. Do you hear me?”



Humiliated

The particulars of claim filed at the Windhoek High Court state that Du Plessis “unlawfully and wrongfully assaulted” Nangha and that he “threatened to shoot and kill the plaintiff, using vulgar and explicit language in reference to or describing [Nangha].”

Nangha is currently employed at Omega Security Services and lives in the Goreangab informal settlement in Windhoek.

His lawsuit states that the alleged assault took place in full view of fellow staff members at G4S and that the video clip was distributed widely on social media, which added to the overall injury of the incident.

Nangha writes in his particulars of claim that he felt “humiliated, traumatised and degraded” during and after the incident and that he suffered psychological trauma and discomfort.

He is asking the court to award him N$1 million in damages for the trauma of the incident, including the “emotional pain and suffering, injury to his dignity and reputation.”

A judge has not yet been assigned to oversee the lawsuit and G4S security services and Du Plessis have not yet filed their responding notices to indicate whether they will defend the matter.



PIC

Similar News

 

Fishrot's De Klerk washes dirty laundry

1 week ago - 07 August 2020 | Justice

RONELLE RADEMEYER WINDHOEK Marén de Klerk, the lawyer who left Namibia amid allegations that millions of dollars from the Fishrot bribery scandal had passed...

Boy accused of murder granted bail

1 week ago - 07 August 2020 | Justice

NAMPAGOBABISA 14-year-old boy who allegedly stabbed an 18-year-old to death at the Kanaan A informal settlement in Gobabis this past Saturday has been granted bail...

Fishrot accused Ricardo Gustavo's bail appeal denied

2 weeks ago - 30 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKFishrot accused Ricardo Gustavo has been denied bail yet again after his appeal to the High Court was rejected.In his second bail bid, Gustavo...

'I will finish what I started'

3 weeks ago - 24 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEK Johannes Stefansson, the Icelandic national who lifted the veil on the corruption in Namibia's fishing industry, has told Namibian Sun he will...

Fishrot a daylight robbery, says court

3 weeks ago - 23 July 2020 | Justice

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEKWindhoek magistrate Duard Kesslau yesterday described evidence presented before him during the bail hearing of Fishrot accused Bernhardt Esau and his son-in-law Tamson...

Esau and Fitty: ACC has nothing on us

3 weeks ago - 22 July 2020 | Justice

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEK It is not in the interest of justice to keep former fisheries minister Bernhardt Esau or his son-in-law...

'Taxa' wants fresh magistrate

3 weeks ago - 21 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGE WINDHOEKFishrot accused Pius Mwatelulo has launched a bail application in the Windhoek Magistrate's Court, and has asked that magistrates who presided in other...

Gustavo adds properties to new bail offer

3 weeks ago - 20 July 2020 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKFormer Investec Namibia business manager Ricardo Gustavo has offered two of his properties to his N$100 000 bail offer in a fresh bid heard...

Ruling on Namandje's books postponed to August

4 weeks ago - 16 July 2020 | Justice

STAFF REPORTERWINDHOEKJudgment in the court case between lawyer Sisa Namandje and the Law Society of Namibia (LSN), which was due to be delivered tomorrow, has...

Ruling on Namandje’s financial books postponed to August

4 weeks ago - 15 July 2020 | Justice

Staff ReporterWindhoekJudgement in the court matter between lawyer Sisa Namandje and the Law Society of Namibia, which was due to be delivered on Friday, has...

Latest News

Thought leadership

18 hours ago | People

NDANGI KATOMAIn a very short time, the coronavirus has changed so much about our lives.It is easy to think you’ll never get ahead when you...

Marketing through the lens of...

18 hours ago | People

ESTER KAMATIAs part of the DOLOLO group of entrepreneurs and a 2019 alumnus of the Africa Pathfinders Leadership initiative, Andreas Elifas’s objective is to attain...

Price monster hungry

18 hours ago | Economics

Although annual overall inflation in Namibia last month stayed unchanged at 2.1%, annual overall food inflation increased to 6.2% - up from 4.9% in June...

Tough times for mines in...

18 hours ago | Business

Jo-Maré Duddy – Of the 16 operating mining companies included in the latest annual review of the Chamber of Mines of Namibia, six last year...

Fishing quota auction storm grows

18 hours ago | Fishing

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKGovernment's decision to auction off its fishing quota, and then use the proceeds to finance its efforts to fight the Covid-19 pandemic is continuing...

Samherji begs for release of...

18 hours ago | Fishing

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKIcelandic firm Samherji, which is at the centre of the Fishrot bribery scandal, has asked Namibian authorities to release its fishing vessel Heinaste, which...

Education kneecapped by shortage of...

18 hours ago | Education

KENYA KAMBOWERUNDUEducation minister Anna Nghipondoka says Namibia has a backlog of over 5 000 classrooms, which has made it a challenge to comply with the...

Growing hip-hop in the north

18 hours ago | Art and Entertainment

MICHAEL KAYUNDE WINDHOEKSkipper Wills' breakthrough came in 2017 when he was selected to take part in the Old & New hip-hop documentary. He has since...

Kay-Z Bearens on his 2020...

18 hours ago | Art and Entertainment

MICHAEL KAYUNDE WINDHOEK Rapper Kay-Z Bearens released his first single in 2015, and though on the underground scene, he's pushed his music over the years.In...

Load More