First Listeriosis case reported
13 March 2018 | Health
A Namibian man, 41, has been diagnosed with Listeriosis after eating a vienna he bought at a butchery in Tsumeb this week. He is in a critical condition in hospital, fighting for his life.
This was announced by health minister Dr Bernard Haufiku in parliament this afternoon.
The disease that is prevalent in processed, ready-to-eat meat broke out in South Africa in January and has already claimed 180 lives in the neighbouring country. It is said to be the worst global outbreak in living memory.
Haufiku told the National Assembly that the ministry is prepared for the disease as surveillance mechanisms were activated when it broke out in SA in January, but that measures to contain the situation will be sharpened.
He especially cautioned the people of Tsumeb where the country's 28th independence celebrations will take place to be cautious and not consume read-made meat products.
“Our inspectors will be going from shop to shop to remove all meat products identified as sources of the disease in Tsumeb and all other towns in the country."
Products from the Tiger Brands Enterprise Food range, along with Rainbow chicken ready-to-eat products in South Africa were identified as a source of the disease.