Fast times at FNB Sandman
03 December 2019 | Sports
This was a significant improvement in turnout compared to last year, when around 270 athletes participated.
The athletes took part in various categories, which included the ultra, standard, sprint and mini.
“The bulk of the people that took part this year just came to have a good day. They did it for fun. I think the competition was more on the social side. The majority of the people were social and just enjoyed doing it,” said event organiser Mark Brinkman.
The best swim time over a distance of 1.9km was recorded by Phillip Seidler (21:23). Conrad Marais had the fastest bike time over 90km (2:32:20), while Erich Goeieman ran a time of 1:16:11 over a distance of 21km.
In the ultra-category the results were as follows:
1. Conrad Marias - 4:53:51 (first overall, male)
2. Petrus Laubsher - 5:22:41 (third overall, male)
3. Hennie Fourie - 5:23:25
1. Melissa Hinz - 5:18:42 (First overall, female)
2. Berta Theron - 5:37:49 (Second overall, female)
3. Elzane van der Linde - 6:04:15 (Third overall, female)
1. David Gardner - 4:53:51 (second overall, male)
2. Michael Greef - 5:29:44
3. Carol Fourie - 5:43:52
1. Adri van der Merwe - 6:31:39
2. Marion Hemmel - 7:01:56
Mixed female team
1. The Warriors - 4:51:41
2. The Lockness Monster - 5:18:20
3. Tri Chicks - 5:27:30
Mixed male team
1. Simply Unfit - 4:33:46
2. Etango - 5:11:56
3. 2+1 - 5:22:16