Family destitute after shack fire
Everything Claudine Kambatuku has worked so hard to build has turned into ash.
13 July 2020 | Disasters
Thirty-year-old Claudine Kambatuku’s entire life changed this on Saturday, 4 July when her shack in Katutura’s Herero Location, along with all her belongings, burnt down.
“I went out of town for a funeral and got the shocking news from my mother on Saturday night that my shack had burnt to the ground. I can’t explain to you what this feels like. I live with my seven-year-old daughter and my two brothers, and everything I have worked so hard to build just turned to ashes,” Kambatuku said with tears in her eyes.
It is believed that the fire started because of a faulty electrical switch.
Kambatuku said while no one was at home at the time, a witness said after the power tripped, she switched it back on and when it failed again, she let it rest. When she switched it on for a third time, she heard an explosion.
“I guess it was a fuse in the television that caused the fire. Right now, we lost our livelihood,” Kambatuku said, pleading for a helping hand from Good Samaritans.
To assist, call Kambatuku at 081 680 0078, or her sister Beverley at 081 377 3907.