Erongo travel permits still on the table
05 August 2020 | Local News
A notice displayed in one of the Swakopmund police station’s windows was removed on Saturday after it created uproar amongst the town’s residents.
On the ‘Namibians United Against Lockdown’ Facebook group, Hannelie Horn Turner expressed her disapproval regarding the notice, which read: “No permits will be issued until further notice. The public is encouraged to stay home and stay safe. Thank you.”
“I suppose this means we are now officially prisoners,” she wrote.
She also sent a message to Erongo 24/7’s Facebook page to voice her frustration, adding that the notice was placed in the window on Saturday at 09:50.
Meanwhile, a police officer on duty who chose to remain anonymous, later removed the notice, saying residents are allowed to apply for travel permits.
“The notice was put on the window earlier in the year and it is old. It is not even supposed to still be on the wall, so let me remove it now.
“People have been queuing up for permits, even on Friday, and they are allowed to apply for travel permits,” she said.
When approached for comment, Inspector Ileni Shapumba, the police unit commander of community affairs for the region, reiterated that residents can apply for permits to travel out of Swakopmund.
“We are issuing travel permits strictly in line with the law,” he said.
Shapumba made these remarks after consulting with the Swakopmund police station commander.
‘Avoid unnecessary travel’
Last Friday, President Hage Geingob urged the country’s citizens to avoid unnecessary travel.
He made these remarks during a statement on the country’s Covid-19 response.
“I hereby inform the nation that the Erongo Region and the special dispensation for the local authority areas of Walvis Bay, Swakopmund and Arandis will remain unchanged and is hereby extended from Tuesday, 4 August, until midnight Monday, 31 August 2020.”