Election 2019: Land reform, agriculture and climate
13 November 2019 | Local News
ALL PEOPLE'S PARTY (APP)
• Compensation for the German genocide and the resettlement of the Ovaherero, Nama and Damara.
• New technologies for the rejuvenation of abandoned agriculture projects.
• Community trust should own between 45% and 50% of green schemes.
• Promotion of poultry and aquaculture industries.
• World-class abattoirs for excluded communities.
• Promoting green energy, preventing soil, water, vegetation and air degradation.
CONGRESS OF DEMOCRATS (CoD)
• Access to commercial agricultural land.
• Urban land for everyone.
• One-off land purchase allowance for everyone.
LANDLESS PEOPLE'S MOVEMENT (LPM)
• Radical land and agricultural reform to eradicate poverty and hunger and create jobs.
• Every claim for ancestral land must be considered independently.
• 30 days' notice to absent landowners for expropriation without compensation.
• One farmer, one farm.
• Expropriation in the public interest.
• Restoring agriculture as an economic driver in rural areas.
• Better support to small farmers.
• Massive investments in science and technology that will promote agriculture.
• N$1 billion a year to the Ministry of Climate Change and Green Energy.
NAMIBIA ECONOMIC FREEDOM FIGHTERS (NEFF)
• Expropriate land without compensation and redistribute it.
NATIONAL DEMOCRATIC PARTY (NDP)
• Revisit original land boundaries and return stolen land.
• Traditional leaders must control communal land.
• Free seed and irrigation systems to municipal farmers near rivers.
• Grants for municipal cooperatives.
• Agricultural factories in all regions, towns and settlements.
• Agricultural universities, colleges and training centres, as well as the provision of equipment, materials and capital.
NATIONAL UNITY DEMOCRATIC ORGANISATION (NUDO)
• The recognition of ancestral land rights.
• No land ownership by foreigners.
• Equal distribution of state land.
• Climate-smart agriculture.
• Incineration plants and green schemes in the Namib Desert.
• Climate-smart cities and towns.
POPULAR DEMOCRATIC MOVEMENT (PDM)
• Expropriation with fair compensation.
• Negotiations on ancestral land.
• Security of tenure and ownership of productive land use.
• Land ownership by foreigners or the possession of multiple farms must be managed by taxes and levies.
• Provide unproductive state-owned land to farmers with potential.
• Focused support for modern agriculture and other inequalities initiatives.
• More frequent audits of relocated farmers' infrastructure.
• More cooperatives and agricultural producer organisations.
• Desalination plants along the coast.
RALLY FOR DEMOCRACY AND PROGRESS (RDP)
• Faster, more efficient and non-corrupt land reform.
• A dedicated fund for relocation, land acquisition, infrastructure development, mentoring and training.
• A clean and safe environment free of pollution.
• Fight the destruction of the ecosystem and forests.
REPUBLICAN PARTY (RP)
• Help people who lost land in colonial times.
• Remove the racial nature of the land conversation.
• Food security must come first.
• A socialist government will expropriate land without compensation and control all natural resources.
• An end to foreign and private ownership that promotes poverty and hardship.
• Renewable energy sources to take centre stage.
• Coastal desalination plants to supply the entire country with water.
• Speed up amendments to the law on land reform and the implementation of the decisions of the second national land conference.
• Improvements to the willing seller, willing seller policy.
• Criteria for the provision of commercial agricultural land to emerging farmers, members of marginalised communities and farmworkers
• 687 000 hectares of additional municipal agricultural land for people in the Otjozondjupa, Omaheke, Oshikoto, Kavango East and Kunene regions.
• Climate-friendly investments in water and energy infrastructure.
• Climate change research and the full application of the 2007 Environmental Management Act.
• Better standards for waste management.
UNITED DEMOCRATIC FRONT (UDF)
• Everyone has the right to land, not just the ones who can afford it.
• Acquisition and redistribution of land.
• Very high taxes for foreign landowners, limit such ownership to a fixed period and extend only with application for Namibian citizenship.
WORKERS REVOLUTIONARY PARTY (WRP)
• Restoring ancestral land rights to restore people's dignity.
*Where parties are missing, their manifestos were not yet available.