Complaints to ACC drop

21 April 2017 | Government

The Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) investigated 172 of the 401 allegations of corruption referred to it during the financial year 2015/16.

It forwarded 29 cases to the prosecutor-general, of which 13 were prosecuted.

The number of complaints received by the ACC had decreased by 6% from the previous financial year.

The commission referred all non-corruption cases to other authorities and 184 cases were closed without investigation.

The ACC says cases are closed because there are no reasonable grounds for investigating, or the matter is non-jurisdictional, or the matter is the subject of an investigation by another body, or the complaint is frivolous or vexatious.

The extent of the fraud in the cases referred to the PG's office amounted to more than N$27 million. Other notable cases under investigation by the ACC during 2015/16 involved amounts totalling N$132 million.

One of these cases involved eight public servants from the Ministry of Health and Social Services who had conspired to channel close to N$5 million into a bank account to which they had access.

At the Henties Bay municipality three private persons submitted fraudulent claims of N$788 995 that were paid out by corrupt officials.

The ACC reported that a prisoner had orchestrated a criminal scam involving N$20 000 from police cells where he was detained.

Two public servants at the Oshikoto regional council attempted to embezzle N$20 million from a toilet-construction project.

An employee of the Hardap regional council working in the Schlip constituency was accused of having misappropriated N$62 446 collected for water and electricity.

The ACC also investigated and charged Namibians and a group of Angolans who had connived to submit fraudulent value-added tax refund claims to the value of N$114 million. The accused were charged under the Prevention of Organised Crime Act (POCA). The High Court has issued forfeiture orders totalling more than N$20 million against the accused.

There was also alleged corruption involving N$11 million at the former Polytechnic of Namibia, where forged documentation was used to allow students with outstanding debts to register.

A bribe of N$1 million was reportedly solicited at Unam for the awarding of a security contract.

A former employee at the Namibia Development Corporation was accused of fraud amounting to close to N$5 million.

The ACC forwarded documentation to the Asset Forfeiture Unit of the PG's office in order to restrain close to N$3 million that had been transferred into the bank account of an employee of August 26 Industries because the origin of the funds was suspicious.

CATHERINE SASMAN

Similar News

 

Township deal 'none of your business'

20 hours ago | Government

President Hage Geingob yesterday told journalists that he was not going to entertain questions about his private business and how much he made from selling...

Geingob defends Noa

20 hours ago | Government

President Hage Geingob yesterday leapt to the defence of Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) director-general Paulus Noa, while defending his administration's record on curbing corruption. Geingob...

Big changes coming at Health

20 hours ago | Government

Health minister Bernhard Haufiku yesterday said massive administrative changes could be expected at the beleaguered ministry, including the complete overhaul of the Central Medical Store...

No standoff here, says Kauta

20 hours ago | Government

The board chairperson of the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (Namcor), Patrick Kauta, says there was no ministerial influence or any other implied personal considerations...

MD claims witch-hunt

1 day - 13 December 2017 | Government

The board of the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (Namcor) has terminated the contracts of nine non-permanent staff at the parastatal in an alleged standoff...

NC convenes urgent session

1 day - 13 December 2017 | Government

The National Council will convene an urgent session next week to review three bills. A statement issued by the secretary to the National Council,...

OPM dumping ground

2 days ago - 12 December 2017 | Government

Besieged health permanent secretary Andreas Mwoombola was hastily transferred to the Cabinet Office on Friday in an effort to restore order at the health ministry.“The...

Namibia not a tax haven – Schlettwein

1 week ago - 07 December 2017 | Government

Minister of finance Calle Schlettwein has rejected claims made by the European Union that Namibia is a tax haven. The European Union (EU) this...

Hage fumes over health mess

1 week ago - 06 December 2017 | Government

President Hage Geingob has jumped into the fray by seemingly asking the minister of health and his permanent secretary to put their differences aside and...

Namibia squeamish about transparency

1 week ago - 06 December 2017 | Government

A damning report by a policy watchdog has found that both government and private institutions in Namibia do not prize transparency and many remain shrouded...

Latest News

Township deal 'none of your...

20 hours ago | Government

President Hage Geingob yesterday told journalists that he was not going to entertain questions about his private business and how much he made from selling...

NSFAF to lose parastatal status

20 hours ago | Government

The government is contemplating plans to return the embattled Namibia Students Financial Assistance Fund (NSFAF) to the Ministry of Higher Education, Training and Innovation. ...

Geingob defends Noa

20 hours ago | Government

President Hage Geingob yesterday leapt to the defence of Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) director-general Paulus Noa, while defending his administration's record on curbing corruption. Geingob...

Pilchard moratorium too little, too...

20 hours ago | Fishing

A three-year moratorium on pilchard fishing introduced this week came ten months after the fisheries minister had announced a controversial and defiant 14 000-ton pilchard...

Okombahe bakery now operational

20 hours ago | Business

A bakery project started for youth empowerment at Okombahe in Erongo Region started operating on Wednesday. Speaking to Nampa upon enquiry on Friday, bakery...

Keep an eye out for...

20 hours ago | Banking

The Bank of Namibia is warning bank customers to take stock of unauthorised debit orders and report such deductions as soon as they are detected.Debit...

Big changes coming at Health

20 hours ago | Government

Health minister Bernhard Haufiku yesterday said massive administrative changes could be expected at the beleaguered ministry, including the complete overhaul of the Central Medical Store...

No listeria fears for Namibia

20 hours ago | Health

Namibia is safe from contaminated food products which have caused an outbreak of listeria in South Africa and caused the death of at least 37...

No standoff here, says Kauta

20 hours ago | Government

The board chairperson of the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (Namcor), Patrick Kauta, says there was no ministerial influence or any other implied personal considerations...

Load More