China destroyed early samples of Covid

19 May 2020 | Health

China acknowledged that it instructed unauthorized laboratories to destroy samples of the novel coronavirus - but for "biosafety reasons."

An official with the Chinese National Health Commission said on Friday that the samples were destroyed in line with public health laws and to "prevent the risk to laboratory biological safety".

But he insisted that it was not done to cover up or hide samples from other countries - an accusation that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had previously made.

Pompeo has repeatedly attacked the Chinese Communist Party for attempting to cover up the extent of the outbreak, which has so far killed more than 88,000 people in the US alone.

The news comes as tensions between the US and China appear to be deteriorating, with the president and his administration blaming the country for having started the virus deliberately.

China has confirmed that it had ordered unauthorised laboratories to destroy samples of the new coronavirus but insisted that it was due to "biosafety reasons".

The announcement comes after Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has repeatedly said that China refused to give virus samples taken from patients infected with Covid-19 in late December last year and that officials had destroyed early samples, according to South China Morning Post.

Liu Dengfeng, an official with the Chinese National Health Commission's science and education department, said in a Beijing briefing on Friday that the samples were destroyed to "prevent the risk to laboratory biological safety and prevent secondary disasters caused by unidentified pathogens."

He insisted that this was not done to cover-up or hide samples from other countries, but was done strictly for biosafety reasons."The remarks made by some US officials were taken out of context and intended to confuse," Liu said.

Liu said that when the pneumonia-like disease was first reported in Wuhan, "national-level professional institutes" were working to identify the pathogen that was causing it.

"Based on comprehensive research and expert opinion, we decided to temporarily manage the pathogen causing the pneumonia as Class II - highly pathogenic - and imposed biosafety requirements on sample collection, transport, and experimental activities, as well as destroying the samples," he said.

The official said that this was standard practice in China for the handling any highly pathogenic samples.

Chinese public health laws specify that laboratories not meeting the requirements must either transfer them to a qualified depositary for safekeeping or destroy them.

Liu Dengfeng did not mention the Trump administration's claims that the virus originated in a laboratory in Wuhan, China.

Pompeo has previously attacked the Chinese Communist Party for attempting to cover up the extent of the outbreak. He has accused the country of not reporting accurate numbers and of censoring research regarding the coronavirus.

"The Chinese Communist Party tried to suppress information about this virus, about where it began, about how it started, about how it was being transmitted from human to human, indeed employed the World Health Organization to further that storyline," Pompeo told Christian radio program Focus on the Family, earlier this week, Newsweek reported.

The news comes as tensions between the US and China appear to be deteriorating. While Trump initially praised President Xi Jinping's response to the outbreak in January, the president and his administration have since blamed it for deliberately starting the virus.

Trump added to White House speculation in April when he said that he had evidence showing that the coronavirus originated from a lab in Wuhan, China, but that he would not reveal what it is.

Earlier this month, Trump suggested that China's handling of the novel coronavirus is proof that Beijing "will do anything they can" to ensure he isn't reelected in November.

At the time of writing, the US has seen more than 1.4 million confirmed cases and 88,507 deaths, according to Worldometer. - Business Insider

Similar News

 

No new stimulus package for Walvis

9 hours ago | Health

STAFF REPORTERWINDHOEKGovernment will not offer new emergency income grants for residents of Walvis Bay whose town is back on lockdown for seven days after recording...

Covid-19 cases remain at 25

9 hours ago | Health

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKThe total number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Namibia has remained steady at 25, according to deputy health minister Esther Muinjangue, who gave an...

Red Cross launches national Covid-19 response plan

18 hours ago | Health

The Namibia Red Cross Society (NCRS) has launched its national Covid-19 response plan at its headquarters in Windhoek. The plan aims to reduce the spread...

De Beers donates masks, sanitiser for schools

1 day - 02 June 2020 | Health

STAFF REPORTERWINDHOEKDiamond giant De Beers this week donated hand sanitiser and face masks to the Office of the Prime Minister for distribution to the ministry...

25th Covid-19 case confirmed

1 day - 02 June 2020 | Health

ELIZABETH JOSEPHWINDHOEKThe health minister yesterday confirmed Namibia's 25th case of Covid-19.A 32-year-old female health worker tested positive for the coronavirus after returning from Cape Town,...

Quarantine gobbles up N$11.3m

5 days ago - 29 May 2020 | Health

JEMIMA BEUKES WINDHOEKTo date, government has spent N$11.3 million on quarantine facilities, which include five-star lodges and meals, health ministry executive...

Bank Windhoek donates 500 reagent testing

5 days ago - 29 May 2020 | Health

Bank Windhoek donated 500 reagent testing kits and nasopharyngeal swab collection kits to the Namibian government on Wednesday, 19 May 2020. The kits, which were...

Latest Covid-19 case exposes Walvis to virus

6 days ago - 28 May 2020 | Health

JEMIMA BEUKESWINDHOEK A series of blunders led to 63-year-old Walvis Bay fisherman, the country's latest coronavirus patient, visiting doctors and pharmacies for about two...

Family reports man

6 days ago - 28 May 2020 | Health

Kenya Kambowe RUNDUA Namibian man from Mbambi village in Kavango West is...

Truck ports not for quarantine - Shangula

6 days ago - 28 May 2020 | Health

ELLANIE SMIT WINDHOEK Health minister Dr Kalumbi Shangula has made it clear that transport companies are not allowed to quarantine their drivers...

Latest News

NBL ready to deliver

9 hours ago | Business

Phillepus UusikuLife is slowing returning to normal as Namibians navigate the country’s gradual reopening following an easing of trade restrictions which were necessitated to combat...

Treasury demands reports of lockdown...

9 hours ago | Economics

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKThe ministry of finance will demand full reports from public entities, ministries, agencies and offices detailing procurement expenditure incurred during stage one of the...

Over 120 lose jobs at...

9 hours ago | Labour

KENYA KAMBOWERUNDUAbout 120 people lost their jobs yesterday after a fallout between Chinese-born business magnate Stina Wu and a subcontractor that labour inspectors found to...

Namibia’s food security paradox

9 hours ago | Agriculture

Venomukona Tjiseua, sustainable agriculturalist: “The government must revisit its priority list and place agriculture at its correct spot.”With jobs disappearing, incomes drying up and savings...

The contest for hearts and...

9 hours ago | Opinion

Nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight, when everything remains seemingly unchanged.The above quote by...

Indemnity forms a matter of...

9 hours ago | Education

OGONE TLHAGEWINDHOEKWith some learners expected to return to schools today, education ministry executive director Sanet Steenkamp says parents will have to trust that schools have...

SA loosens lockdown to revive...

9 hours ago | International

South Africa sought to revive its stuttering economy on Monday with a partial lifting of its coronavirus lockdown, letting people out for work, worship or...

Rastafarian sues for N$1.4m

9 hours ago | Justice

JANA-MARI SMITHWINDHOEKA convict serving 35 years for murdering his girlfriend is suing prison authorities for N$1.4 million for cutting his hair.Petrus Fridel Frederik claims his...

No new stimulus package for...

9 hours ago | Health

STAFF REPORTERWINDHOEKGovernment will not offer new emergency income grants for residents of Walvis Bay whose town is back on lockdown for seven days after recording...

Load More