SA storm death toll rises to 51

24 April 2019 | Disasters



The death toll from severe storms in South Africa has risen to 51, authorities said today.
All the deaths were reported in KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) Province where heavy storms have battered various parts of the province since Monday night, the provincial department of cooperative governance and traditional affairs (COGTA) said in its latest update on casualties caused by the storms.
The storms have left behind a trail of destruction and displaced hundreds of people, the department said, adding that five people remain unaccounted for.
Rescuers will continue searching for survivors, the department said, indicating that the death toll might rise.
The department said earlier that at least 32 people had been killed.
The Eastern Cape province also experienced severe weather conditions. In Port St Johns in the Eastern Cape, serious flooding prompted the South African Air Force to dispatch helicopters to assist with rescue operations.
Also on Wednesday, President Cyril Ramaphosa arrived in the KwaZulu-Natal province to visit the affected areas, after returning from Egypt where he attended the African Union Troika Summit on the changing situations in Libya and Sudan.
Ramaphosa expressed his personal sadness at the loss of lives and damage to property.
"As South Africans, the entire nation's thoughts and prayers are with the people of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape who have been affected by the forces of nature against which they had little defence.
"Our hearts go out particularly to families and communities who have been directly affected by death, injury and the loss of property. This situation calls on all of us to pull together as a country to reach out to affected communities and to help alleviate their hardship," Ramaphosa said.
The president lauded the response of provincial authorities and national agencies to the calamity, as well as the support and goodwill - material and otherwise - provided by various sectors of civil society.
He reiterated the call made by the government for community members to avoid crossing low-lying bridges, streams and rivers; and for motorists to exercise caution and avoid driving in flooded areas.

NAMPA/XINHUA





Similar News

 

Save water before summer

3 days ago - 16 August 2019 | Disasters

Windhoek residents managed to meet the municipality's water savings target in July, but need to redouble their efforts as temperatures start rising.The municipality is urging...

39% of Namibians hungry

4 days ago - 15 August 2019 | Disasters

A shocking 39% of Namibians were severely food insecure by 2018, while 821.6 million people worldwide did not have enough food to eat, as hunger...

Lifeline for stranded Chobe hippos

4 days ago - 15 August 2019 | Disasters

An emergency borehole has successfully been drilled to pump water into a Chobe River pond, where about 68 hippos are stranded in the drying river....

Not out of the woods yet

6 days ago - 13 August 2019 | Disasters

Recovery after the current drought, which has been declared a national disaster, is the biggest challenge the agriculture sector will face for the next three...

Engen fuels N$1m drought relief

1 week ago - 09 August 2019 | Disasters

Engen has handed over N$1 million to the Dare to Care Fund to support Namibia's farmers who have been ravaged by a seven-year drought. The...

Drought relief goes to the needy

2 weeks ago - 02 August 2019 | Disasters

The Omusati regional councillor for the Oshikuku constituency, Modestus Amutse, has dismissed allegations that drought-relief food is only given to Swapo members in his constituency....

Ehehelo lyoopresenda mbali lya lundululwa

3 weeks ago - 23 July 2019 | Disasters

Etseyitho lyoshigwana ndyoka lya shainwa kuamushanga gwokabinete kaNamibia, George Simataa, lya shangwa mEtine lyoshiwike sha piti, olya pula AaNamibia ayehe mboka haya mono iiyemo opo...

Renewed plea for 2% donation

4 weeks ago - 22 July 2019 | Disasters

A public notice signed by cabinet secretary George Simataa, dated Thursday last week, makes a “humble appeal to all Namibians to donate up to 2%...

Kavango East struggling to deliver food aid

4 weeks ago - 22 July 2019 | Disasters

The Kavango East regional council is facing challenges with the distribution of drought relief food, its acting chief regional officer Ambossius Makongwa has said.Last week...

PPP could boost water security

1 month - 19 July 2019 | Disasters

Public-private partnerships (PPPs) present one solution to Namibia's critical water supply challenges, which among several steep hurdles, is dogged by significant funding shortfalls.A roundtable discussion...

Latest News

Kärcher Centre Taurus opens its...

13 hours ago | Business

Windhoekers have been in for a treat since the past Saturday when the first fully fledged Kärcher Centre in Southern Africa outside of South Africa...

Defence spends half a billion...

13 hours ago | Economics

The ministry of defence spent about N$491.7 million for three consecutive financial years without the approval of Treasury.This is in direct contravention of the State...

Daily grind

13 hours ago | Labour

Even though most of Namibia's more than 72 000 domestic workers earn above the minimum N$1 502 a month, close to 80% of them say...

Corpses rot in homes

13 hours ago | Health

Unregistered deaths, including infant mortalities, and corpses being left to rot in homes over weekends, are just some of the challenges being faced by the...

Young mom hacked to death

13 hours ago | Crime

A 23-year-old woman was brutally murdered this past Friday in Kavango West, allegedly by her long-time boyfriend, who hacked her to death with an axe...

It was tough - Tomas

13 hours ago | Sports

LIMBA MUPETAMI Namibian long-distance runners Rainhold Tomas and Alina Armas are the winners of the 19th edition of the Old Mutual Victory Race in the...

Uganda, Zambia deny Huawei spying...

13 hours ago | Business

Kampala - Uganda and Zambia on Friday denied a report that employees of Chinese telecom giant Huawei had helped them spy on political opponents.The Wall...

Vetkoek court fight postponed

13 hours ago | Business

Yanna Smith - The High Court matter in which Namib Mills has sued Bokomo Namibia for “dishonest practises in industrial or commercial matters” was postponed...

Import VAT exemption on certain...

13 hours ago | Business

The Namibia Agricultural Union (NAU) approached the department of inland revenue to exempt certain animal feed products by Namibian farmers from import value-added tax (VAT)....

Load More