Work on Windhoek-Okahandja road stops

The Roads Authority (RA) admits to late payments to contractors but maintains that there is no shortage of funds.

17 January 2017 | Infrastructure

Conflicting reports have emerged on whether work has stopped on the N$1.085 billion second phase of the dual carriageway between Windhoek and Okahandja.

According to some sources all subcontractors have stopped working since 17:00 on Friday due to non-payment by the Roads Authority (RA).

Subcontractors preferring anonymity for fear of reprisals yesterday confirmed that work had indeed stopped and a site visit yesterday morning around 08:00 showed workers standing around idly.

Some contractors reportedly started working on the road last Monday but it is understood that an urgent meeting was held on Friday where they decided to cease all activities.

It is rumoured that the stoppage could continue into March.

The chief executive officer of the RA, Conrad Lutombi, denied that work on that part of the road had stopped.

Lutombi, who is still on leave and will be back in office today, said he had phoned the contractors to find out what was happening. He said the contractors informed him that work was continuing.

Lutombi said contractors had been paid for November and December last year but he admitted that there were outstanding payments that were due in January, which he said would be sorted out as soon as possible.

He said contractors had given notice on 12 January that there were outstanding amounts, but none of the companies could contractually cease working since they would have to give 21 days' notice of any suspension.

Angry subcontractors, however, complained about late payments, saying that they would have to demand government guarantees before concluding future contracts.

“The Roads Authority must be open and honest with contractors who have to pay salaries and suppliers. The work was suspended because we are waiting for someone from the RA whom we can trust that the money will be forthcoming,” one of the contractors

said.

Another said: “How can you grow the economy if you kill small firms because you simply do not pay them on time? The situation is getting worse; we are not given the facts.”

Lutombi denied that there was a shortage of funding, emphasising that the project was partially funded by the German development bank KfW and the Namibian government.

Last November the RA said that work on this portion of the road was progressing well.

CATHERINE SASMAN

Similar News

 

NDP5 taken to Hardap

2 weeks ago - 31 July 2017 | Infrastructure

The deputy minister of economic planning, Lucia Iipumbu last week visited Mariental in the Hardap Region as part of the National Planning Commission's (NPC) popularisation...

Hardap alleviates Neckartal water woes

3 weeks ago - 25 July 2017 | Infrastructure

STAFF REPORTERNamWater will funnel crucial water from the Hardap Dam to the Neckartal Dam construction site in order to alleviate critical water shortages there and...

Desert Rose EIA under scrutiny

3 weeks ago - 25 July 2017 | Infrastructure

The developers of the Desert Rose project are keen to get the project rolling, having recently submitted an environmental impact assessment (EIA) for the N$8-billion...

Chinese firms stop work amid financial woes

3 weeks ago - 24 July 2017 | Infrastructure

Two Chinese companies responsible for the bulk earthworks for the construction of the railway line between Ondangwa and Oshakati have reportedly stopped work due to...

Dunes Mall nearly done

3 weeks ago - 21 July 2017 | Infrastructure

The construction of the Dunes Mall with an estimated value of N$650 million in the vicinity of the Diaz Circle in Walvis Bay is on...

Millions for new port gate

3 weeks ago - 21 July 2017 | Infrastructure

Namport intends to start with the construction of a new port entrance gate and truck staging area at a cost of approximately N$40 million in...

Housing remains priority

4 weeks ago - 19 July 2017 | Infrastructure

The City of Windhoek aims to provide 4 043 affordable houses in the next five years through projects such as National Mass Housing and the...

Oobiliyona tadhi ka longithwa mokutunga omagumbo

1 month - 14 July 2017 | Infrastructure

Oshimaliwa sha thika poobiliyona 1.4 otashi ka longithwa mokutunga omagumbo ngoka oshowo okuyambulapo onkalo yomagumbo galwe nonkalo yoluhepo mokati kaakwashigwana yaNamibia otayi ka shuna...

Onguta becomes township

1 month - 06 July 2017 | Infrastructure

The town council of Ondangwa is in the process of formalising one of its oldest locations Onguta.According to the town's technical manager, Petrus Shipanga, the...

Omaruru savings scheme starts constructing houses

1 month - 29 June 2017 | Infrastructure

'River C', a Shack Dwellers Federation housing scheme in Omaruru, this weekend commenced with the construction of 26 houses after years of technical and natural...

Latest News

Local women in jails abroad

16 hours ago | Crime

In the last year Namibians have made headlines for being arrested in foreign countries for carrying drugs or for other crimes.Security experts are of the...

Security guard caught with N$500...

16 hours ago | Crime

A security guard was arrested at Otjiwarongo yesterday in connection with the theft of about half a million dollars in cash that had been collected...

Yemeni denies guilt in murder...

16 hours ago | Justice

A Yemeni man arrested for the alleged murder of a Malian national in Windhoek in August 2016 yesterday denied committing the offence.Murad Esmail Ali Al-Hersh,...

Tourists' road safety a concern

16 hours ago | Accidents

With at least eight tourists having been killed on Namibia's roads in separate accidents during the last three weeks, the safety of the country's roads...

I'm no snitch – Swartbooi

16 hours ago | Politics

Former deputy lands minister Bernadus Swartbooi has told people who are holding their breaths for him to expose corrupt Swapo politicians that he has no...

Opposition to communication gateway

16 hours ago | Politics

The DTA has joined the Namibia Media Trust in condemning an alleged intended move by information and communication technology minister Tjekero Tweya to select a...

PAAB files with court

16 hours ago | Crime

The Public Accountants' and Auditors' Board (PAAB) last Thursday, filed its record of proceedings with the High Court in its defence against auditor Hans Hashagen's...

Swapo members claim Mbumba let...

16 hours ago | Politics

Swapo secretary-general Nangolo Mbumba says he will only meet with the party members in Rehoboth when the “time is right”. His remarks come after claims...

Clampdown on wildlife crime

16 hours ago | Crime

An intelligence-led investigation conducted in the Kavango East Region last week recovered uncut diamonds, ivory and other wildlife products worth N$4 million and four suspects...

Load More