Rundu massacre case is bogged down
26 November 2018 | Justice
Jesaya Gabriel Chuhunda is charged with five counts of murder for allegedly killing his grandmother, mother and three nephews at Rundu's Ndama location in July.
On Friday Chuhunda appeared before Magistrate Vivian Ndlovu, who postponed the matter to 21 January 2019 for further police investigation, for the accused to acquire legal representation and to undergo psychiatric evaluation. Chuhunda remains in police custody.
He was arrested on 1 July after allegedly killing his grandmother, Ndongo Ntumba (77), his mother, Ndara Elizabeth Mpande (46), and his three nephews, Musenge Petrus Muruti (6), Hausiku Daniel Kapumburu (4) and Musenge Elias Tjingelesu (3).
According to the police, Chuhunda went berserk when his sister refused to give him money.
“The motive behind the suspect's actions is allegedly that he demanded to be given money earlier during the day. However, the money was not given to him and as a result he assaulted the sister. The sister went to report the matter to the police and that agitated the suspect, who then assaulted his family, killing them instantly with a stick,” the crime report read.
It is further alleged that Chuhunda is a drug user and could be mentally challenged.
There was a public outcry after allegations were made on social media that Chuhunda's sister had called the police shortly before the mass murder but that they did not respond as there was no transport available.
Meanwhile, according to an article by Nampa, two senior police officers who were accused of failing to respond in this incident have been found guilty of negligence.
A police spokesperson, Chief Inspector Kauna Shikwambi, said disciplinary action was taken against the two officers last week.
She said the two – former Rundu station commander Chief Inspector Andreas Mushongo Haingura and Chief Inspector Eberhard Muyambo - were found guilty of negligence and fined N$1 500 each.
Haingura was redeployed to the Kavango East regional police headquarters after the incident.
As for the four junior officers who were on duty at the time of the massacre, Shikwambi said their disciplinary process would soon be completed.
The outcomes of the two disciplinary cases were still subject to review by police chief Sebastian Ndeitunga, she added.
- Additional reporting by NAMPA