Optimistic but wary

Afghans are hopeful, but remain wary, of the possibility of lasting peace in their country.

11 June 2018 | International

Afghans exhausted by a nearly 17-year war that is older than many of the country's citizens breathed a sigh of relief on Saturday after the Taliban announced its first ceasefire since the 2001 US invasion - but some remain wary.

The decision to suspend fighting for the first three days of Eid, the holiday that marks the end of the fasting month of Ramadan and a time when Muslims visit family and friends, took many in the war-weary country by surprise.

Afghans flooded Facebook with messages of hope that the unprecedented ceasefire, which came two days after the government's own unexpected announcement of a week-long halt to operations against the Taliban, could lead to a longer-lasting peace deal.

“It is a good move by the government and Taliban. Anyone who has lost someone to this war will welcome it,” wrote Mohammad Najeeb.

Shah Jahan posted: “I hope this is a step towards peace. I also hope other terrorist groups such as Daesh don't disrupt it.”

Daesh is the Arabic acronym for the Islamic State group, which has a relatively small but potent presence in Afghanistan.

“I still cannot believe they (the Taliban) accepted the ceasefire offer. This is the very first ceasefire I have witnessed since I was born,” wrote Karwan, whose profile had only one name.

“For as long as I can remember it has been war, war, war.”

Baktash Mobarez said the Taliban's announcement had “brought so much hope and happiness” to a country worn down by four decades of conflict.

“Imagine if one day all of the 20 terrorist groups active here stop fighting,” he said.

But others expressed doubts over the Taliban's sincerity, pointing to the dozens of Afghan security forces killed in a spate of attacks claimed by the group in the hours leading up to the announcement.

'Three days is not enough'

Militants launched two separate assaults in the western province of Herat and the northern province of Kunduz overnight, killing at least 36 soldiers and police, officials said.

The group also claimed responsibility for an attack on an Afghan military base in the southern province of Kandahar.

At least 23 soldiers were killed and another nine wounded in the raid, Shah Wali Kot district police chief Padshah Khan told AFP.

The casualty toll could not be immediately confirmed.

“It makes no difference, they have already started killing loads of people before the ceasefire,” wrote Hashim Akbari.

“They have killed dozens of people in Herat and Kunduz in one day. They will kill more to make up for their ceasefire days.”

A woman in Kabul told AFP that three days was not enough and instead “we should reach for a sustainable peace throughout the country”.

Civilians have paid a disproportionate price in casualties as a result of the protracted conflict.

More than 10 000 civilians were killed or wounded in 2017, down 9% from the previous year, UN figures show.

But casualties from suicide bombings and attacks were up 17% last year as the Taliban and IS ramp up assaults in urban areas, particularly Kabul.

After many fits and starts with past peace initiatives, some Afghans pleaded for a higher power to resolve the conflict.

“May God turn this ceasefire into a permanent ceasefire between the Taliban and Afghanistan,” Faridullah Talash wrote on Facebook.

“We are tired of war and bloodshed.”

NAMPA/AFP

Similar News

 

Americans own 40% of world’s guns

20th of June 00:00 | International

Americans make up only 4% of the global population but they own 40% of the world's firearms, a new study said on Monday.There are more...

Massive oil losses

20th of June 00:00 | International

Libya's National Oil Company said on Monday that it suffered "catastrophic losses" when two storage tanks were destroyed during fierce clashes in the country's northeastern...

Housewife is dark web boss

20th of June 00:00 | International

A 28-year-old housewife with no criminal record has been unmasked as the woman behind a major French "dark web" site which sold drugs and guns...

Anti-FARC hardliner Duque closes in on Colombia presidency

1 day - 18 June 2018 | International

Ivan Duque is on course to become Colombia's youngest president in yesterday's run-off election, after a campaign fought largely over the future of the government's...

Trump's Trudeau revenge

5 days ago - 14 June 2018 | International

President Donald Trump said Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau “learned” from the mistake of criticising him and it's going to cost Canada “a lot of...

Kabila will not seek new term

5 days ago - 14 June 2018 | International

The prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has said that President Joseph Kabila will not seek a third mandate in the country's...

Bemba free soon

5 days ago - 14 June 2018 | International

Jean-Pierre Bemba's lawyers argued Tuesday for his immediate release after international judges acquitted him of war crimes, as the former Congolese vice president edged closer...

Is it a new world?

6 days ago - 13 June 2018 | International

US President Donald Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong Un concluded an extraordinary summit on Tuesday with lofty promises by the American president to take...

World's emptiest airport in Sri Lanka as last flight...

6 days ago - 13 June 2018 | International

Sri Lanka's jinxed second international airport was left without a single scheduled flight from Friday after the only airline using the remote facility scrapped its...

DRC Ebola almost under control

1 week ago - 12 June 2018 | International

The director general of the World Health Organisation said on Sunday he believed a swift end could be put to the outbreak of Ebola in...

Latest News

Kingon re-appointed as SARS commissioner

23 hours ago | Economics

South African Revenue Service (SARS) acting commissioner Mark Kingon’s time at the helm has been extended by another three months, after minister of finance Nhlanhla...

Support for refugees

23 hours ago | Economics

NDAMA NAKASHOLEA total of N$13.2 million has been allocated in 2018/19 financial year to the administration of refugees programme under the home affairs ministry.The programme...

Totem

23 hours ago | Economics

Quote of the day“The Minerals Council believes that much more work needs to be done to create a Mining Charter that promotes competitiveness, investment, growth...

Court reins in spies

23 hours ago | Justice

The flimsy fig leaf of national security and secrecy, used by government, especially the Namibia Central Intelligence Service (NCIS), to withhold information in a constitutional...

Phosphate judgment on Thursday

23 hours ago | Environment

Environment minister Pohamba Shifeta has reserved judgment until Thursday on whether the granting of an environmental clearance certificate to Namibian Marine Phosphate (NMP) will be...

Public grills ECN contenders

23 hours ago | Government

OGONE TLHAGEThe Electoral Commission of Namibia (ECN) has started interviewing candidates for the position of chief electoral officer.For the first time ever, the process, which...

Otjomuise shack fire claims two

23 hours ago | Crime

JANA-MARI SMITH A shack fire in Windhoek’s Otjomuise area killed two people over the weekend.The police reported that the two...

Katrina takes time into own...

23 hours ago | Education

The education ministry has issued a directive that schools may not start earlier than 07:30 or later than 08:30.This follows numerous directives issued by the...

Two in court after drug...

23 hours ago | Justice

Two men arrested in connection with a drug bust at the port of Walvis Bay on Friday made their first court appearance yesterday. Grant Noble...

Load More