Namport fires 86 employees
20 May 2019 | Business
Namport has dismissed 86 container terminal workers who were involved in an illegal strike in August last year.
Namport acting CEO Kavin Harry explained via a memo issued on Friday that 92 workers were charged in line with clause 4. 5 of the company’s disciplinary code.
Eighty-six workers were subsequently dismissed for misconduct after a disciplinary hearing, while six others were given final written warnings.
Harry said the unfortunate turn of the events had regrettably resulted in service disruptions at the harbour.
“Management has put measures in place to mitigate the impact of such disruptions. Security measures have also been beefed up to minimise risks to Namport employees and property," Harry said.
The strike action took place at the Namport head office at Walvis Bay. Employees went ahead with the illegal industrial action despite being cautioned not to do so by the Namport management and union bosses.
At the time the employees claimed the Namibia Transport and Allied Workers Union (Natau) had not consulted them on changes made to their conditions of employment and that their right to freedom of association was being violated.
They also demanded to join and be represented by the Mineworkers Union of Namibia (MUN), because of alleged corruption and victimisation by the Natau leadership.
Namport accused the participants of not following the correct grievance procedures contained in the collective bargaining agreement signed between the port authority and Natau.