Fire leaves another family homeless
03 January 2019 | Accidents
Ernestine Nkotongo (19) said the fire started at around 13:00 while she and three family members, including a newborn baby, were asleep.
Nkotongo said they were woken by a cloud of smoke coming from the sitting room, which forced them to escape through the windows.
Luckily no serious injuries were sustained.
She said all they could do was to watch the fire destroy their home and all their belongings.
“We don't know what happened. All we saw was smoke and we had to make use of the windows to get out. We ran to the neighbour's house as it was raining after the fire had started. There was nothing we could rescue, even our cellphones got burnt in there,” Nkotongo said.
Asked about the possible cause of the fire, Nkotongo said everyone was asleep when the incident occurred and they didn't know what had happened.
The owner of the house, Renate Ngonga, who was not home at the time of the fire, told Namibian Sun that the incident left her speechless.
Ngonga said she had been living in the house for the past ten years and had worked hard to acquire the assets that went up in flames.
“I worked very hard for my property which was burnt down by the fire. I am still shocked by what happened,” Ngonga said.
To make matters worse, the cash the family had earned by selling food and beverages along the Rundu main street went up in flames too. Ngonga could not say how much money it was. She said they were raising the money to pay for Nkotongo's tuition and hostel accommodation at the University of Science and Technology (NUST).
“I really don't know what to do. It feels like I worked for nothing. Where will I now get the money to send my daughter to school, as registration is weeks away,” a tearful Ngonga said.
“I am asking for help from anyone who can, even a blanket will mean a lot to us. As a mother I am just concerned about where my children will sleep and how I will clothe them,” Ngonga said.