Delay in NAMAs call for entries stirs panic
NAMAs organisers have confirmed they are sorting out administrative glitches that have led to a delay in the call for entries.
07 December 2018 | Art and Entertainment
“We are well aware that the call for entries process should have started already but wish to assure the public that we are busy sorting out internal administrative issues and this project will continue despite these delays,” Ekongo said.
The call for entries usually takes place within the first week of November. The NAMAs had 970 artists entered for a shot last year but only 150 were nominated. The awards show also had changes, such as removing the Friday evening awards and only hosting one main award event on the Saturday. This resulted in 11 categories being cut from the usual 35, leaving only 24 categories. The delay caused speculation of the awards not happening anymore which made some music enthusiasts worried.
Local producer and music distributor Djokic Dragan better known as Antonio said the state of the industry is currently bad and without the awards show, it will be worse.
“We have the NAMAs now and we are a step behind. Without the NAMAs we will be two giant steps behind. When it comes to making music, the awards are also a priority,” he said.
The current reigning Male Artist of the Year, Kalux, said the NAMAs have been life-changing for him and other artists, but that an industry without them could help push boundaries for local musicians.
“I have always wanted a car and the NAMAs made that possible for me.
“The NAMAs changed my career in so many ways and I applaud them for that. An industry without the NAMAs will be difficult for us, however, it will also give us the courage to work harder and get recognition from other awards the borders,” he said.
Ekongo concluded by saying that MTC remains very excited about the project that it has transformed into a global brand. More information regarding the NAMAs will be communicated in due course.