Defence grills top cop in fraud case

Two Chinese men accused of money-laundering, as well as their Namibian co-accused, are equally likely to abscond if granted bail, the lead investigator argued in court yesterday.

11 January 2017 | Justice

OGONE TLHAGE



Tasked to head the investigation into a N$3.5 billion money-laundering scam, Chief Inspector John Mutongwe mumbled in court when he took to the stand to testify in the case involving businessman Laurentius Julius and his co-accused, Chinese nationals Huizhong Tau and Huang Jinrong.

During cross-examination, Mutongwe directly accused the three accused of fraud and money-laundering when questioned by Sisa Namandje, who is defending Tau and Jinrong. Asked how he knew, Mutongwe said documentary evidence the police had on hand suggested the guilt of the three accused.

Mutongwe admitted not knowing the location of accused number four, Chinese national Zhu Hanggang, who had been granted bail of N$500 000.

Mutongwe informed the court that 29 other Chinese nationals were under investigation and that arrests were imminent.

That drew the ire of Namandje, who asked Mutongwe why the 29 suspects had not yet been apprehended. Mutongwe indicated that arrests were to follow soon and said the suspects were scattered all over the country, making it difficult to arrest them.

Mutongwe told the court that Julius had travelled abroad at least 50 times, which indicated that he was as much of a flight risk as his co-accused.

That prompted Namandje to ask Mutongwe why his Chinese clients were a flight risk. Mutongwe said because there was no extradition treaty with China, there was no way to trace them if they absconded.

Namandje then asked him whether he knew about the Teko trial, involving another Chinese national who was granted bail. Mutongwe insisted, however, that no bail conditions would be sufficient to keep the accused in Namibia.

Namandje informed the court that he would challenge Mutongwe’s fitness as a witness once the trial began.

In his submission, Advocate Louis Botes, who is representing Julius under instruction from Dirk Conradie, said his client was willing to post bail of N$1.5 million and report to the police in Walvis Bay.

Botes informed the court that his client was also willing to stay within the Walvis Bay and Swakopmund magisterial districts.

Namandje requested to make his argument in favour of bail for Tau and Jinrong on Tuesday because of the non-availability of Magistrate Venatius Alweendo, who presided over the hearing. The hearing was then postponed to Tuesday.

Similar News

 

ICC withdrawal threats of no effect

1 day - 23 February 2017 | Justice

Cabinet's affirmation of Namibia's withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC) has no effect until such time that the National Assembly endorses such a position....

Accused spat at magistrate

2 days ago - 22 February 2017 | Justice

A Walvis Bay man was yesterday sentenced to three months' imprisonment after spitting at a magistrate. Magistrate Rivermo Williams sentenced Venancio Muller (36) to...

27 more suspects face arrest in N$3.5b fraud

1 week ago - 17 February 2017 | Justice

The investigation into a N$3.5 billion tax evasion, fraud and money-laundering case involving a prominent Chinese businessman, three of his countrymen and a Namibian is...

18 horns received in Windhoek

1 week ago - 16 February 2017 | Justice

ELLANIE SMIT The Chinese national who smuggled 18 rhino horns through Hosea Kutako International Airport and was arrested in South Africa, had received the...

High Court allows another appeal in Teek saga

1 week ago - 16 February 2017 | Justice

High Court Judge Thomas Masuku yesterday allowed the prosecutor-general to appeal to the Supreme Court against the acquittal of retired Judge Pio Teek on child...

Culture violates many rights

1 week ago - 16 February 2017 | Justice

DORCAS MHUNGUThe United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef) representative to Namibia, Micaela Marques de Sousa, says neither culture, tradition nor religion should ever be used as...

Ondangwa lower court bogged down

1 week ago - 15 February 2017 | Justice

The Ondangwa Magistrate's Court is reportedly postponing cases because of a broken recording device in one of its two courtrooms.The three magistrates employed at the...

Ombudsman fights for detainees

1 week ago - 14 February 2017 | Justice

Ombudsman John Walters yesterday submitted an urgent application on behalf of 47 citizens of other African countries in the Windhoek High Court. In the...

Law reform occupies Justice in 2017

2 weeks ago - 10 February 2017 | Justice

A comprehensive review of laws that are hampering development is on the cards this year. This is being undertaken by the Ministry of Justice...

Avid trial drags on

2 weeks ago - 07 February 2017 | Justice

The Avid corruption trial, dealing with the alleged embezzlement of N$30 million from the Social Security Commission in 2005, continues in the Windhoek High Court....

Latest News

Robber assaults sleeping baby

14 hours ago | Crime

JESSICA BOTES A Swakopmund mother of twin babies is the latest victim of a string of violent burglaries in Swakopmund.At approximately 03:50 on Wednesday, a...

Rosh Pinah Zinc workers want...

14 hours ago | Labour

Workers at the Rosh Pinah Zinc Mine have given management four working days to remove its employee relations specialist, Angeline Barnard-Hagen, or face “unforeseen action”.In...

Land activists say they won't...

14 hours ago | Politics

The Landless People's Movement has indicated its intention to approach the ombudsman to compel the land reform ministry to release its version of the resettlement...

Union wants non-compliant retailers to...

14 hours ago | Labour

The Namibia Wholesale and Retail Workers Union (NWRWU) has demanded that the minister of labour call retailers that exploit workers to order. The union claims...

Hoff guilty of attempted murder...

14 hours ago | Crime

Susanne Hoff (56) was found guilty of the attempted murder of her estranged husband, Egbert Hoff, by the Windhoek Regional Court yesterday.Hoff, who pleaded not...

Ondonga backs Nangolo to succeed...

14 hours ago | Cultural

The Ondonga Traditional Authority on Tuesday affirmed that Fillemon Shuumbwa Nangolo is the Ondonga king-in-waiting.The OTA said in a statement that King Immanuel Kauluma Elifas...

Dineo storms onto bucket list

14 hours ago | Disasters

When you plan a sunny Mozambican holiday in February, the last thing you expect is to be caught up in a cyclone. (Well, maybe we...

The 2017 Budget should demonstrate...

14 hours ago | Opinion

BY MALLY LIKUKELA As preparations for the 2017 National Budget gather momentum and a greater participation by various stakeholders becomes evident. The budget is...

I am a foolishly wise...

14 hours ago | Opinion

I have always been fascinated by the manner in which the Police in United States of America, in cities like New York, Los Angeles or...

Load More