Bulk rail tenders cancelled

01 December 2017 | Infrastructure

The permanent secretary of the Ministry of Works and Transport, Willem Goeiemann, says the cancellation of all four tenders for the purchase and delivery of bulk rails was because of the cash squeeze the government is facing. The cancelled tenders are for the purchase and delivery of 20 000 tonnes each of rails for the upgrade of the Kranzberg to Otjiwarongo, Otjiwarongo to Tsumeb, and Walvis Bay to Kranzberg railway lines. The other cancelled tender is for the first phase of the line construction of a sand shelter tunnel of the railway line between Aus and Lüderitz, which includes the railway siding at Haalenberg. The ministry did not indicate how many bids it had received for the multibillion-dollar tenders. Goeiemann, who is currently attending a meeting of the International Maritime Organisation in London, this week said the tenders would be advertised again next year. This comes after the N$10 billion loan from the African Development Bank of which N$6 billion is earmarked to support the government's budget deficit and N$4 billion for capital projects in the rail, road, agriculture and educational sectors. The bulk rail tenders were first advertised about 18 months ago and were estimated at a combined amount of N$1.4 billion. “We did not have the money to execute the projects,” Goeiemann said. “We will redo it under the new Procurement Act next year.” At the time it was reported that 75 tender applicants, primarily from Chinese companies in joint venture arrangements with Namibian partners, had been received. Other foreign tender applicants were from Zimbabwe and Zambia. At that time, the nature of tenders was questioned by industry players who wondered why the ministry would want to purchase such large quantities of rail at one time for the 600-kilometre railway line to be upgraded. The industry players had estimated that it would have taken ten years to complete the upgrades.

CATHERINE SASMAN

Similar News

 

Taskforce for B1, B2

1 day - 24 April 2018 | Infrastructure

One of the priorities for the transport ministry during the current financial year is the establishment of a taskforce for the B1 and B2 highways,...

Fuel storage ready by June

2 days ago - 23 April 2018 | Infrastructure

As the Walvis Bay bulk fuel storage project nears completion, details still remain sketchy about who will manage the N$5.6 billion facility, as well as...

N$1bn Chinese grant for airport road

1 week ago - 13 April 2018 | Infrastructure

The Chinese government will provide N$1.1 billion in financing for the construction of the road leading from Windhoek to Hosea Kutako International Airport.In an exclusive...

Shift focus from housing to tenure

1 week ago - 12 April 2018 | Infrastructure

An urgent reframing on the way the authorities are addressing the issue of housing in order to address informal settlement growth is needed.In a review...

Onus rests on RCC board to avert takeover

2 weeks ago - 11 April 2018 | Infrastructure

The current board of the Roads Contractor Company will have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that they have a turnaround strategy in place in order...

NHE to construct 50 houses at Okahao

2 weeks ago - 10 April 2018 | Infrastructure

The National Housing Enterprise (NHE) will construct 50 houses for low- and middle-income groups at Okahao in the Omusati Region.This was announced on Friday at...

China eyes airport upgrade

2 weeks ago - 06 April 2018 | Infrastructure

ELLANIE SMIT Namibia and China are discussing the possibility of Chinese financing for upgrading Windhoek’s Hosea Kutako International Airport.President Hage Geingob briefed China about the...

Rain destroys Kunene road

1 month - 19 March 2018 | Infrastructure

Heavy rain has washed away portions of the Opuwo-Omakange road in the Kunene Region. The Roads Authority this afternoon confirmed that the road was extensively...

Oompangela dhokutunga omagumbo tadhi ndopa

1 month - 15 March 2018 | Infrastructure

Uuyelele mboka owa hololwa molopota ompe, ya landula komapekaapeko omape ngoka ga ningwa. Omapekaaapeko ngoka oga holola kutya otashi tsikile nokukala ondjodhi itayi yi...

Housing misery

1 month - 14 March 2018 | Infrastructure

A new study on housing provision and affordability in Namibia has delivered a scathing indictment of the government's flawed efforts to address the housing crisis...

Latest News

Neckartal gets lion's share of...

3 hours ago | Economics

About 46.4% of the N$2.137 billion agriculture budget is earmarked for the development of the water sector and for water supply to rural communities in...

Moussongela girls 'safe' in UK

3 hours ago | Justice

A London court has ruled that three daughters of accused sex offender Pedro Moussongela will remain in the United Kingdom and not be returned to...

Totem

3 hours ago | Economics

Quote of the dayI want to raise the spectre of the [tourism] industry doing more in tangible ways. – Keith Sproule, executive director: Abercrombie &...

Gem of a quarter for...

3 hours ago | Business

Jo-Maré Duddy – Namdeb Holdings produced more than half a million carats in the first three months of 2018, the first time in 16 quarters...

Give women a chance in...

3 hours ago | Business

NDAMA NAKASHOLEThe Electricity Control Board CEO, Foibe Namene, has urged men in mining to be mindful of women’s disadvantaged position in the industry, with a...

Site of horror to be...

3 hours ago | History

The largely forgotten German colonial concentration camp at Shark Island in Lüderitz may soon be declared a national heritage site. The National Heritage Council intends...

Tourism Networking Conference to precede...

3 hours ago | Events

Staff Reporter - The local and regional tourism community are all looking forward to the 20th edition of the ever-popular Namibia Tourism Expo which will...

NTTU regroups after strike

3 hours ago | Transport

At least 20 taxi owners retrieved their vehicles at a cost of N$1 000 each yesterday, after the vehicles were impounded on Monday when a...

Govt drags feet on N$6.4m...

3 hours ago | Justice

Finance minister Calle Schlettwein has been given until 12 June to explain the inactivity around a N$6.4 million lawsuit that sees his ministry suing TransWorld...

Load More