Man kills girlfriend, injures mom

18 June 2019 | Crime

A 48-year-old man handed himself over the police after he allegedly slashed his girlfriend to death with a panga and injured her mother.

The mother is in a critical condition in hospital.

According to the police the incident occurred at a homestead at Okashopashopa village in the Etayi constituency on Sunday night. Hambeleleni Ndahafa Absalom, who was in a relationship with the suspect, died at the scene.

Her 72-year-old mother sustained serious injuries.

The elderly woman is currently admitted at the Oshakati State Hospital in a critical condition. The suspect was arrested after he surrendered himself at the Omungwelume police station.

In another incident on Friday at the //Ereres informal settlement in Keetmanshoop's Tseiblaagte location, a 34-year-old man was stabbed to death with a kitchen knife, allegedly by his 37-year-old girlfriend. Selestinus Kawalu was stabbed in the chest after an argument and died at the scene. The suspect was arrested.

In another incident, a 16-year-old girl was raped by a 20-year-old man this weekend at Nkurenkuru.

It is alleged that the man followed the girl from V6 Bar and together with his friends pulled her in his room. The suspect pushed the girl on his bed, undressed himself and raped her. It was not specified when the incident occurred.

In a separate incident, a fire started at one of the shacks at Moshitila Apartments in Swakopmund and spread to eight others in the same yard on Friday.

All nine shacks were completely destroyed. Members of the police and the Swakopmund fire brigade extinguished the fire and no loss of life or serious injuries were reported. The cause of the fire has not been determined yet, but it is suspected that the owner of the shack where the fire started forgot to switch off the stove when Swakopmund experienced a power outage earlier that morning.

On Saturday at Mondesa in Swakopmund a 22-year-old man died in the hospital after he was stabbed for grabbing a bottle of wine from two men.

It is alleged that Henry Henrico

//Goagoseb and his friend were on their way to Hero's Bar when they came across two unknown men sitting on the pavement near the bar with a 750ml bottle of Monis Granada wine.

//Goagoseb and his friend allegedly asked for some wine, however, the man holding the bottle refused and pulled out a knife.

//Goagoseb grabbed the wine and ran away. In the process of grabbing the bottle he was stabbed. His friend also ran away, but in a different direction. According to the police, when he returned he was told that //Goagoseb had been taken to hospital. Upon his arrival at the hospital he was informed that //Goagoseb had died. The suspect is not yet known and police investigations continue.

On Saturday at Stop 'n Shop in Okuryangava, a security guard shot a man who was allegedly caught stealing from the premises together with two other intruders who fled the scene. According to the police the man was shot in the stomach with a shotgun. The security guard is employed by Independent Security Company. The victim is in a critical condition at Windhoek Central Hospital.

In another incident, a 66-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man were arrested at Gibeon on Friday for allegedly being in the possession of 1 040 grams of pure cannabis valued at N$10 400.

Two men, both 25 years old, were also arrested for trying to sell a pangolin skin to police officers in Okahandja on Saturday. The skin is valued at N$50 000 and was recovered.